Is it right to do wrong?

Is it right to do wrong, if it’s only once in a while? ‘Are you only guilty if you get caught?’ I saw that ‘philosophy’ on a T-shirt recently and that may explain the first question. If you ‘bet’ on working in Nevada, it’s a little more difficult than dropping a chip on the table…

Q: My question is what could happen to me if I do some work outside of my classification? It would be rare since I almost always use subs, but I was recently asked to perform this work and would like to know what is the worse problem I might face?

A: This is a tough question, since there are so many variables. It would also help if I knew what classification you hold and what work you consider “outside of my class”. If in fact this work is beyond the scope of your license and the work is self-performed, you may have a problem in court (if it gets that far) collecting any money you are owed. You could also face an investigation by the CSLB and subsequent citation if the work results in a complaint being filed by the property owner.

Since you are aware that these projects may require a different license than you hold, I would suggest applying for this additional classification as soon as possible. Why take any chances when in a few months, you can likely apply, test and be issued the proper classification. Based on our brief discussion, you appear to have the required experience qualification for this trade.

Q: Our RME just left the company after working for us over 10 years. We understand that after 90 days if we have not qualified someone new, our license will be suspended. Is this correct? Also, what is the best and quickest way of getting someone new listed on our license? At this point, it will likely be one of our officers.

A: You are correct. The CSLB allows 90 days to replace a qualifier who has disassociated from the license. In most instances, the new RME or RMO can become qualified within this time period. If it appears the process will take over 90 days, you can request (in writing) a second 90-day extension.

Since your license is over 5 years old, your new qualifier (in this case one of the officers), is likely eligible for a waiver of the law and trade exams. This is allowed under B&P Code 7065.1(c). The officer must be able to show that he or she has been employed with the corporation – in a supervisory capacity — for at least 5 of the prior 7 years and the license has been in good standing during this same period of time.

Q: I would like more information on getting my Nevada state contractor’s license for remodeling homes. Other than passing the exams, what obstacles am I likely to encounter during this process.

A: The Nevada license application spans 23 pages. Among the requirements are securing a statement from your bank; providing a detailed financial statement (or one compiled by your CPA); and getting 4 notarized references that attest to your 4 plus years experience in the building trades. Once the application is submitted and reviewed, the State Board will notify you regarding their testing requirements. After you pass both the business management and trade exams, the Board will notify you regarding the contractors’ bond amount. This bond is on a sliding scale and is tied to the bid limit you list on your application.