California Contractor Licensing RMO Replacement

Hopefully, you enjoyed a great holiday and New Year’s celebration. As each year begins new joys and new tests remain ahead for all of us. As we learn from our first questions of 2008, contractors need to be prepared to deal with unexpected change and new challenges to keep their license in good standing…

Q: I am hoping that you can help me with a California Contractor’s License question. I work for a corporation that has experienced the death of the license holder. He was the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO)/President and his wife is on the license as the Secretary / Treasurer. Is it possible for the listed Secretary to continue the license? Is testing needed? She has been affiliated with the company since it was issued over 10 years ago. What are the procedure and forms that are needed for the business to continue and the existing contracts to be completed?

A: I am sorry to hear about your loss. There is a process to follow to notify the CSLB and to replace the RMO on this license. While license law requires that a company notify the Board of any change in officers within 90 days, I would suggest contacting them ASAP!

It is best to file the Application for Replacing the Qualified Individual naming the new RMO along with a copy of the death certificate. The new qualifier will need to certify at least 5 years full time experience within the past 7 (years). Since the wife has been listed on the license she may be able to secure a waiver of the law and trade exams. It all depends of what you mean by “affiliated with the company”. For an exam waiver, the new qualifier must have been actively involved in the business and able to show supervisory experience in the trade presently held by the corporation. If the replacement is completed within 90 days, the license should remain in good standing and existing contracts would not be adversely affected.

Q: My father is a licensed contractor (both “A” & “B”) in CA. He would like to become certified for mold removal. I am unable to find the link for him to take the test through the State Department of Health Services (DHS) web sites. Can you please reply back and let me know where I can find this information.

A: At the present time I am not aware of any testing requirements through Dept. of Public Health (CDPH) or the CSLB for Mold Removal Certification. Here is a link to the state’s Environmental Health Laboratory Branch Indoor Air Qualify Program, which includes a number of Mold related issues. I hope this helps

Q: Thank you for your timely reply to my prior questions! I understand if I get my “C-6” license I would be able to do all cabinet / carpentry work that I need; however, I currently do a lot of miscellaneous projects that would not fall under the “C-6” license such as plumbing, electrical, drywall etc. If I kept those jobs under $500 would I be ok legally? What if I had my “C-6” license and was doing a job and installing a bunch a cabinets and during the job they asked if I could do some plumbing and it came out to $850. Could I bid the plumbing in two groups of $400 and $450?

A: If you become licensed as a “C-6” you’ll be able to handle all aspects of Cabinet, Millwork and Finish Carpentry. As a licensed contractor, the “minor work exemption” disappears so it would not be legal to handle other trades (plumbing, drywall, electrical, etc.) even if the work was under $500. Also it is not proper to separate a contract in order to have each part fall below this threshold.