RME Qualifiers for California Contractors Licenses

For one type of California contractor, can they “B” all things to all people when it comes to self-performing work? We’ll ‘brush up’ the experience rules for painters and expand on the feedback from a previous question. First, let’s learn more about the many ways a qualifier can use their license as RME…

Q: We will be applying to replace the Responsible Managing Employee (RME) on our corporate license. Once this is completed will we still use our old license number or will we be issued a new one?

A: You will keep your existing license number. Your outgoing RME cannot take the license with him.

Q: Am I allowed to be an RME on a certain company and at the same time use my own sole proprietorship contractor’s license on weekends?

A: If you’re the qualifying individual (RME) for a company, you must inactivate and cease using your sole owner contractor’s license – even on weekends.

Q: Can you give me an idea on what compensation or salary is typical for a RME? Is a percentage fee per 1 million dollar in contracts appropriate?

A: I am sorry but I cannot give you any information on an appropriate salary for a RME. As with any employment, this is dependent upon your job location and responsibilities, pay scale for comparable company employees, and the employer’s salary offer. I have no knowledge of this ever being tied to a company’s income.

Q: My question involves obtaining a “C-33” (Painting) License. I have been in the trade for 20 years and have been in the Union for all this time. Is there a way of obtaining my license without having to take the test based on this work experience?

A: Although you appear to be highly qualified, the CSLB still requires that you pass the law and “C-33″ trade exams.

Q: In response to ‘Q&A” on your website regarding a “B” license being able to self-perform work on a public works project, you stated that a specialty license is not required for the trades they chose to self-perform? Are you saying that if a general contractor is, for instance, self-performing a dozen specialty trades he can do so without these specific classifications? Does it matter if the project had 30 different trades? Would the dollar amount of the project change your answer?

A: The response you’re referring to stated: ” “B” contractors have the option of self-performing all, some or none of the project work. You can handle all trades with your employees; split the work between your employees and licensed sub contractors or sub out all trades.”

The number of trades does not matter except, as I indicated in my May answer, if the project is only one trade. In this case, a “B” would need the specialty class or sub to a properly licensed specialty contractor. The dollar amount also has no impact of this situation. The public works project could be $100,000 or a hundred million, and my answer would be the same.