Hazardous Certification In California

These contractor inquiries about rules and regulations regarding electrical and hazardous removal have been assembled from past columns, and answer some of the questions contractors are asking now. Plugging into hi tech power demand and removing what was once ‘state of the art’ in building tech require special certification before going to work…

Q: As a General Contractor in California can my employees, remove as much as 1000 Square Feet of floor tile that contains asbestos? Will a new license classification be needed? What do you recommend to prepare for he exam?

A: A contractor must be certified and pass the appropriate asbestos exam with the CSLB and be registered with Cal/OSHA for any work that involves 100 square ft or more of surface area that contains asbestos materials. If the removal of asbestos involves less than 100 sq. ft. of surface area the CSLB does not require certification as an asbestos abatement contractor. However, you should still file a CARCINOGEN ‘REPORT OF USE’ FORM with the Occupational Carcinogen Control Unit at DOSH.

If you intend on applying for the Asbestos Certification or any trade, the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) publishes a separate “Study Guide” for each license class. These two or four page information sheets include a summary of each test; a few sample questions; and a lengthy list of publications recommended by the State. While the State readily recommends dozens of publications (from a number of large publishing companies) they rarely recommend the more direct approach. Simply contact someone who is in the trade to find out what they found most effective in preparing for the license exam.

Q: I need to obtain a “C-46” Solar License. From reading your column, I know the CSLB does not issue licenses to an LLC. However, since I am the only member, would it be best to apply for the license as an individual and not through the LLC? If so, how would I complete the first section when it asks for the company information? Is it possible to apply only as an individual?

A: Yes, you are correct in the assumption. Applying as a sole proprietor would appear to be your best course of action. However, the State of California will not license LLC’s under current law. When you refer to completing the “first section”, I assume you mean the business name on the application. This can simply be your name or a fictitious business name (but not the LLC entity).

Q: I currently hold a “C-7” and “C-10” license in Calif. We install residential wiring, Fire alarm and voice/data communications cabling. Will Nevada consider me for a waiver of any exam?

A: The Nevada Contractors License Board will require a trade exam for all the work you describe. The “C-2” Electrical classification (and the 7 subclasses such as “C-2C” “fire detection”) does not fall under California’s reciprocity agreement with Nevada.

Q: I hold a “C-10”(electrical) and “C-20”(HVAC) license. Sometimes work will be required on a project that does not fall under either of these classifications. Can I get into trouble if I perform this work?

A: B&P Code 7059 (a) addresses your question. A specialty contractor can perform a contract involving the use of two or more crafts or trades if the work is “incidental and supplemental” to the work for which you’re licensed.