License Renewal ‘SCAM’, RME’s and Military Experience

Answering questions, solving problems and alerting contractors to potential trouble is all in a day’s work. As we do here, when you see a veteran let them know you appreciate their service, and help them if you can. Does military construction work qualify for a civilian license? We ‘double down’ on a contractor’s inquiry on RME’s…

We recently included an Industry Alert in the column regarding a SCAM that is being perpetrated against existing contractors and applicants hoping to become contractors. At their December 11th CSLB meeting held in Norwalk, the Board asked that this warning be reiterated as much as possible.

The current SCAM involves at least one unscrupulous company that is contacting existing contractors whose licenses are up for renewal. According to CSLB Registrar Steve Sands, “The caller leads the licensee to believe he or she needs to pay money over the phone to get continuing education credit or renew a license.” CSLB staff will never ask for a credit card over the phone and there are no continuing education requirements to renew a CSLB license.
Since the CSLB discontinued posting applicant lists on its website last month, there appears to be a decrease in these type of calls. Nevertheless, someone pretending to be a Contractors Board employee recently contacted one of our clients. The RMO was told his test was going to be scheduled on a date in January when in fact the company’s application had not even been reviewed or accepted. Again, beware!
Q: I was discharged from active military duty about 18 months ago and want to apply for a CA contractor license. All my related experience was in the military including work in Iraq handling various types of construction. Do you know how the Contractors Board will evaluate this experience?
A: First off, thank you for your service. As we discussed, in many cases, veterans possess transferable skills to meet the minimum experience and training requirements for a state contractor license. The CSLB offers a Veterans Application Assistance Program for those who are transitioning from military service to civilian employment. This program offers priority services to veteran applicants by evaluating transferable military experience and training, as well as education. From our years of experience helping veterans with their contractor’s licensing, it appears you have the required 4 years to qualify for the license exam.
Q: We are currently licensed in Arizona and we would like to obtain a similar license in California. Arizona didn’t have a classification that closely fit with the type of work we do, but they had determined that we needed a sheet metal license. We install material handling systems, manufacturing process systems, and other industrial machinery. What California license would we need?
A: There is a “C-43” Sheet Metal license here in California that would be equivalent to the license you hold in Arizona; however, based on what you described we believe the “C-61”/”D-21” (Machinery and Pumps) would suit you better. The machinery and pumps classification will cover you for basic industrial machinery installations such as the material handling and manufacturing process systems that you mentioned. If you’re doing heavier industrial work then you may want to consider the “A” General Engineering license.
Q: Is it possible to have two RME’s on a license?
A: It’s possible to have two, Responsible Managing Employees (RME), if each one holds a different classification. For example, if you hold the “B” General Building class and the other qualifier has a “C-10” Electrical classification, both of you can be on the license simultaneously. You cannot however have two individual RME’s for one classification.