811 Calling, Waterproofing, RMO Stock and “A” Concrete Work

Is there a license for that? You may be surprised at what work actually requires a CA contractor’s license. Always better to check first rather than get surprised without it. You can always call us at any time to discuss your issue, we may later share it to help others learn from your lesson, but don’t hesitate to ‘drop the dime’ to Capitol Services. First, a quick answer for a guy in a real hurry…


Q: I never imagined I’d do more than follow your column when I could, but I do have an issue.  I am trying to sell my business and plan to remain as the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO).  The buyer is under the impression that I must own 20% of the stock to make the RMO position legitimate.  I am maintaining that a separate bond would suffice without stock ownership.  I would be grateful if you would respond to this issue since escrow is to close in two days and this just became an issue today.


A:  You are correct! There is no requirement that you own any percentage of the corporation.  If the new owner posts a $12,500 Bond of Qualified Individual, you would not need to own any stock.  The bond is required for all RMO’s that own less than 10%.   Good luck with the sale.


Q:  Can a contractor with a Class “A” license pour concrete for residential and commercial projects?


A: It all depends on the total scope of the project.  For example, a General Engineering contractor cannot just pour concrete for the foundation of a home. However, they can if in addition to that they are also doing the curbs, gutters, sidewalks, etc.  Basically, an “A” contractor can do cement and concrete work if it’s in connection with a General Engineering project.


Q: Is there a contractor’s license for waterproofing?  And will I be required to take an exam for it?


A: Yes, there is a license for that.  The specific type of license can be a little tricky as that work can fall under several different classifications depending on exactly what you’re doing.  It can be covered under a “C-39” (Roofing), “C-33” (Painting), “C-29” (Masonry), or “C-54” (Tile).  Each of these classifications has a trade exam.  There is also the “D-65” which is “weatherization and energy conservation” that includes weather stripping, caulking, water heater pipe wrap, etc.  The “D-65” does not have a trade exam.

Contact our office and we can nail down the proper classification for you.

Contractor Alert: March 2013 – The CSLB reminds contractors that they must call 811 before beginning a project that will disturb the ground surface – whether by digging, drilling, boring, etc.  You must contact either the Northern or Southern California regional notification center at least two working days (but not more than 14 calendar days) before beginning your excavation project.  According to the bulletin, “the regional notification center call is free by dialing 811.  If you fail to register, your excavation will be considered unauthorized digging and you may be subject to a fine of up to $50,000, held responsible for any repair costs, and potentially lose your contractor license.”