RME, General & “C-10”, Worker’s Comp Exemption & New 2013 Rules for “C-20 & “C-21” Contractors

Like the chefs at your favorite diner we are cooking up a few ‘short’ orders while providing contractors with a steady diet of ‘Q and A’ at the Capitol Connection. We finish this feast as the CSLB is ‘turning up the heat’ to serve new rules for contractors in disposing of mercury in California…

Q:  I came across your website and I’m really hoping you can answer a question for me.  One of our employees has two Sole Owner licenses: a “C-10” (Electrical) as well as a “B” General Contractor’s License.  We would like him to become the Responsible Managing Employee (RME) for our company and qualify a “C-10” license.  Does he have to deactivate both of his licenses or just the Electrical license?


A:  Thank you for contacting us.  Except in very rare circumstances, an RME can only be on one license at a time, therefore he will be required to deactivate both of his Sole Owner licenses in order to become the RME on the company’s license.

Q:  As the qualifying individual for my current company, if I change jobs does my status and test results for the license move with me to the new company?

A:  Yes, once you leave the company you have up to five years to obtain a license or add yourself to another company license without needing to re-take the exams.

Q:  I currently have Worker’s Compensation Insurance through State Fund.  The renewal for the policy is $940.00.  We do not anticipate working in CA in the near future.  Would you recommend changing the license to exempt from Worker’s Comp, or changing the status of the license to inactive?  If we were to inactivate the license, how difficult would it be to reinstate?


A:  If you don’t currently have employees and you don’t anticipate any work in the near future then either option would work.  If you decide to inactivate the license, you are not required to keep the bond and Worker’s Comp on file with the CSLB, however you would need to make sure that those items are current in order to reactivate the license in the future.  Additionally, you would need to pay the reactivation fee in order to reinstate the license when you are ready to begin work in CA again.

New Rules for “C-20” (HVAC) and “C-21” (Building Moving/Demolition) Contractors!

Beginning July 1, 2013, a new rule took effect in California for both HVAC and Building Mover/Demolition contractors who dispose of out-of-service thermostats containing mercury.  The new regulation requires the contractor to put his/her license number on the thermostat container, or provide the license number at the collection location accepting the device.  This regulation requires that collection sites provide the number of mercury thermostats received and the contractor license numbers to manufacturers, who in turn submit an annual report to the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.  This new regulation will help aid in the effort to safely recycle old thermostats.

Contractors can find the nearest collection site by going to http://www.thermostat-recycle.org/search.php and filling in a ZIP code or call our office for additional questions.