Disassociation Notice, WBE Contracting & “C-61” Categories

As we wrap up this year and look ahead to the next, we take a moment to reflect on some of our past ‘Q&A’. While some things change many never do…

From October 2001

Q:    I am listed as an Officer on a corporation.  I do not like the way things are going and want to get off this license as soon as possible.  What do you suggest?

A:    There are two ways to remove your name from a contractor’s license.  One is to file an official “Notice of Disassociation”.  The second is to write a letter to the Contractors Board asking that your name be removed from the CSLB records.  For a Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) the Disassociation notice is your only option. Any correspondence with the Board should include an original (not fax) signature; the date you’re leaving (or have left) the license; and the license name and number.


It’s a very good idea to remove your name from the Board’s records.  I have seen many instances where someone has left a company but never notified the CSLB.  Months, or even years, down the road, when a problem has developed with the license, the State will go after all listed Officers (even those who are no longer with the corporation).


(Readers note: This policy has changed and CSLB now wants a Disassociation Notice from everyone.)

From February 2003:

Q:   My husband is a subcontractor.  He has been hearing other subs that have a contractor’s license in their wives name but the husbands run the business.  I want to know if this is possible and how do I qualify for a license?  Since my job is to keep the books, I really have no experience in construction.

A:   Over the years, I have heard of some contractors placing their wives as the President or owner of the business when in fact they run most or all of the field operation.  Usually, this was done to help the company qualify as a Woman Business Enterprise (WBE).  Being a WBE can be advantageous when bidding on specified public work projects.  For the average contractor, being owned or run by a woman, whether real or illusionary offers few, if any, advantages.

I have helped many women qualify for their contractors’ license.  In most cases, they had supervisory field experience or directly worked in their chosen trade (painting, plumbing, landscaping, etc.).  However, none to my knowledge simply “kept the books”.  Since you state that “you have no experience”, the only way to qualify would be if your husband or another licensed contractor served as your Responsible Managing Employee /RME (or Responsible Managing Officer/RMO, if a corporation).

To qualify for a license any contractor, male or female needs to show at least 4 years supervisory or practical field experience.

From February 2012

Q: Is there a required exam for the “C-61”/”D-21”?

A:  Yes, the CSLB requires that you pass a law exam; however, there are no trade tests for any of the “C-61” categories.  Once you become licensed as a “C-61/ D-21”(Machinery & Pumps) contractor, you should review the entire list of “C-61” categories to see which others you may qualify for.  These additional trades would be issued without any further testing.