CARB Rules on Diesel, Bond Claims & Correct Business Name

The first step in reaching a goal is knowing where to start! For contractors filing an application, adding to an existing license or for a multitude of other needs Capitol Services is a good choice for a starting place. As we have maintained for years, knowledge is power and knowing where to go for it is half the battle! Don’t miss the Contractor’s Alert that wraps us up…

Q:  Our Company recently filed a name change request with the CSLB in order to change our “dba” name to Wilson Construction. The CSLB rejected the form stating that we “must specify trade along with ‘Construction’ or obtain a class “B” license.”  I have tried to call the CSLB because we are not sure what that means, but I can’t seem to get anyone on the phone.  Can you shed any light on this?

A:  After looking up your license I see that you have an “A” General Engineering license.  In order to use “Construction” in your business name you must either have a “B” General Building classification, OR you can add wording that specifically describes the classification that you hold; for example, “Wilson Engineering Construction”.


Q: Can you tell me what statute deals with kickbacks/referral fees?  I am interested to find out if it’s okay for a contractor to start offering a homeowner a referral fee for referring him out to neighbors/friends?


A:  B&P Code 7157 discusses inducements and it states, “no person may promise or offer to pay, credit, or allow to any owner, compensation or reward for the procurement or placing of home improvement business with others”.  A contractor may give tangible items to prospective customers for advertising or sales promotion purposes, but the gift cannot exceed a value of $5 and only one such gift can be given in connection with any one transaction.

Q:  I need to file a claim on someone’s bond.  Where do I start?

A:  You would want to start with contacting the individual’s bonding company. The bonding company will provide you with a questionnaire and then you will be required to respond within 30 days.  Be sure to include any documentation that you have to support your claim. Contractor’s bonding information is available on the CSLB website or call us for assistance.


Contractor’s Alert: Special Attention “C-57” Licensees:

The CSLB recently released a bulletin to remind Well-drilling contractors who work in the Central Valley that they must register portable internal combustion engines of 50 horsepower or greater used to power drilling equipment with either the state or San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

The Board says, “Well drilling contractors can choose a registration method depending on their work location.  Those who drill within District boundaries must register their fuel-powered engines of a certain horsepower under Rule 2280 (Portable Equipment Registration).  C-57 contractors whose work takes them beyond the Central valley are required to register their portable engines of a certain power with the California Air Resources Board (CARB)”.