What a “B” Can’t Do, CA Corporate Licensing & RME/RMO

Times are improving for contractors large and small, and almost everyone in-between!  The North State Building Industry Association held its first Trades Job Fair in seven years in Sacramento this month. Among the skilled trades being sought were licensed plumbing, HVAC, landscaping, roofing, energy and electrical contractors. Unlike the last few years, now you can get licensed and likely go right to work..


Q:  I have a “B” license and plan on taking a project that involves many trades.  This will be the biggest job I have taken since becoming licensed 5 years ago.  Is there certain work that I cannot do with this class?  I was told that for some trades a General Building contractor is required to hire subcontractors.  Is this correct?


A: First, it depends on the type of project you’re going to work on.  As a “B” the first question you should ask yourself is: Does the project involve a structure that houses people, animals, chattels or moveable property.  If so, then Section 7057 allows you to self-perform most all work except for “C-16” (Fire Protection) and “C-57” (Well Drilling).  These are the two classifications that would require the hiring of a licensed sub-contractor.

Of course, as a General “B” you’re allowed to sub-contract some or all the work to properly licensed subs regardless of the trades involved.

Q:  I have an active contractor’s license for my corporation.  My wife and I recently formed a new corporation together and we have started running the business through the new corporation.  I submitted a name change request to change my current license’s business name to the new company name. The CSLB rejected the form stating that the name doesn’t match what’s on file with the Secretary of State.  But the new company is registered with the Secretary of State with the correct name!  I’ve tried to reach my technician but haven’t had any luck.  I thought you might be able to assist me.

A:  Absolutely we can help you.  Any time you form a new entity you are required to obtain a new contractor’s license.  A name change form will not suffice because it’s a new entity you are licensing, not simply a name change.  License numbers are not transferrable so you will receive a new license number.


Q:  I am listed as the RME on my company’s license.  I recently was promoted to Vice President so I need to update my status on the contractor’s license. In looking at the list of forms on the CSLB’s website, I’m not sure if I need to complete an application to add an Officer or an Application to Report Change of Corporate title. Which would you recommend?

A:  Actually, neither!  In order to change your status on the license from RME (Responsible Managing Employee) to RMO (Responsible Managing Officer), you will need to submit an application to replace the Qualifying individual.  As silly as it sounds, you are replacing yourself!

Here in the Sacramento area new construction is planned, underway or near completion on a new Soccer Stadium at Cal Expo, the new Sacramento Kings NBA Arena, plans for a street trolley system, Lite Rail expansion and new construction breaking ground on developments with hundreds of houses to be built, the opportunity for licensed contractors is growing here and across the state.