“C-10” or “C-7”, General Well Drilling, Machinery & Pumps, AZ Reciprocity

If you’re a General Engineering contractor reading to the end of this column, that is likely opportunity you ‘hear’ knocking.  A ‘flood’ of work in Arizona is motivating contractors to consider over the border licensing opportunity. We start with a question that has a ‘yes’ and a ‘no’ for one contractor with ‘reciprocity’ in mind…

Q:  I am a restoration contractor in California and with the recent flooding in Arizona I have the opportunity to secure a lot of work over there.  I have had my “B” license in California for over 10 years (I took over my Dad’s license when he passed away) and I read that there’s a reciprocal agreement between California and Arizona.  Does that mean that I don’t need to take any exams there and I can do work over there based on the fact that I’m licensed in California?

A:  Yes and no.  You cannot automatically do work over there based on your CA license.  You would still need to complete an application and be approved by the Arizona Registrar of Contractors.  If you have been licensed actively for five out of the last seven years then you can qualify for a waiver of the trade exam.  The Business/Management exam is still required because it references laws and statutes specific to Arizona.  In addition, you are required to show that you passed the equivalent exam in California.  I mention this because you stated that you took over your father’s license when he passed away; if you obtained your qualification based on a Family Waiver you will not qualify for reciprocity in Arizona and you will be required to take the trade exam and show at least 4 years of experience with project lists and a Work Certification form.

Q:  I have a “C-10” Electrical contractor license.  I recently bid on a project with a large retail company and they are requesting that we have the “C-7” low voltage license.  How do I go about adding that classification to my license?

A:  Actually, you wouldn’t need to add the “C-7” Low Voltage classification to your license.  It has been determined by the CSLB that all “C-7” work is covered by the “C-10” classification so you should be able to take on the project based on your existing license.

If the project owner absolutely requires that you obtain a “C-7” Low Voltage license, you can apply for that and request a waiver of the exam based on the fact that you currently hold a “C-10”.  That process would likely take about 6-8 weeks at the current time.

ATTN: Well Drilling/General Engineering/Machinery and Pumps contractors:

As stated in a recent column, the CSLB is currently expediting “C-57” license applications.  In addition to expediting “C-57” contractor’s license applications during California’s drought, they are also quickly processing application for “C-61”/”D-21” Machinery and Pumps applications while the State of Emergency is in effect.

As another reminder CSLB wants Generals to hear; in a recent Industry Bulletin, the “CSLB has encouraged currently licensed “A” General Engineering contractors to consider adding the “C-57” classification to their license.  “A’s” are authorized to perform water supply projects but not well drilling unless they hold the “C-57” classification.  To get that classification, “A” licensees just need to have four years of verifiable journey-level “C-57” experience, take the exam, and pass a criminal background check (unless previously completed with CSLB), but don’t have to re-take the business and law examination.”  Contact our office if you need more information or assistance with this process.