Revoked & Joint Venture Licensing, “C-61” and Self-Employed Experience Credit

One thing often leads to another, and in some cases automatic cancellation of your license! We ‘C’ ‘two’ another contractor’s problem with adding a class without testing, while a contractor who lost his license learns how to ‘build’ a case for getting it back…

Q:  I currently have both a Sole Owner license and a Joint Venture (JV) license with another company.  I want to create a corporation and transfer my Sole Owner license to the corporation, but before I do that I need to know how and if that would affect the JV license?  We have current projects in process.

A:  Yes, that is going to affect the Joint Venture license.  If you were to transfer your Sole Owner license to the corporation, the JV license would automatically be cancelled.  You would be required to re-apply with the new corporate entity and be issued a new license number for the Joint Venture.

Q:  We are a subcontractor that installs acoustical ceilings, wood ceilings, metal ceilings, etc. and we hold a “C-2” (Insulation & Acoustical) license.  We do work for different school districts and recently we’ve seen a requirement that we have a “C-61”/”D-50” (Suspended Ceilings) license.  Is there a way to qualify for a “D-50” without testing for it?  We have been in business for almost 15 years if that makes a difference.


A:  If you use the same licensed individual who currently Qualifies the

“C-2”classification then no testing will be required.  He/she passed the law exam already, and none of the “C-61” classifications have trade exams.  The Qualifier would need to show at least four years of experience but it sounds like that’s covered with the type of work you perform.

Q:  I have been self-employed for over 5 years and I do all types of construction work.  I want to get a General license and need to know how I go about doing that.

A:  You are required to document at least four years of experience doing General Building work.  Self-employment is probably the most difficult type of work experience for the CSLB to assess.  You need to have someone sign on your behalf to certify your experience and in addition, provide some supplementary evidence such as invoices, income tax reports, 1099s, and copies of contracts.  If you cannot produce those then it is unlikely that you would qualify for a contractor’s license. Space is limited here, so if you have further questions about paperwork or proof-of-experience give us a call.

Q:  Several years ago my license was revoked for reasons that I won’t get into and since then I’ve been working for another licensed company.  I’d like to get my license back, is that possible?

A:  It’s possible.  You need to re-apply for the license and as long as it’s been under 5 years since the revocation you would not need to re-test.  To re-instate the license you would have to show proof that you have fully complied with the terms and conditions of the revocation.   In addition, you will likely need to post a Disciplinary Bond in addition to the Contractor’s Bond.  If you are applying under the same entity with the same personnel, and the entity is in good standing with the Secretary of State, you can request that the license number be re-issued.  Feel free to contact me if you’d like assistance with this process.