“C-17” & General Qualifiers, Business Names & Advertising and “C-36”, “C-20” Overlap

Baseball season is back and we go to bat today for an Arizona company, a veteran glazer and a plumber who pitches a ‘wet’ one. Unfortunately, by the end of the ‘game’ played here, readers will discover it’s three strikes and you’re out!..

Q:  I have been a “C-17” (Glazing) contractor for many years.  I recently took a position with a company that currently has a “B” (General Building) license.  They want me to add the “C-17” classification to their license, which I plan to do, but they also want me to replace their “B” Qualifier.  With respect to the four year experience requirement, does work done under a “C-17” qualify for General Building experience?  My projects involve much more than just glazing.  Within glazing falls coordination of structural steel, concrete, finishes, even landscaping.

A:  You are going to have a hard time proving “B” experience working as a“C-17”.  Sometimes people can claim work experience gained from a particular classification to qualify for another classification, but only if the classification is closely related.  Glazing is more of a “stand alone” specialty classification that would be difficult to verify that you were performing the duties required to qualify for a General Building license. The CSLB will likely request that you show proof of your “B” work with contracts or permits showing that you performed specific trades such as framing, carpentry, plumbing, roofing, etc. so it seems unlikely as ‘pitched’.


Q:  We understand that a vehicle can be deemed “advertisement” and as such the vehicle should include the name under which our license is held in Arizona, as well as our license number preceded by “ROC”.  Our question is, do we have to include our full name or just the DBA (doing business as)?  Such as AB Insulation Group Inc., d/b/a AB Insulation or just AB Insulation?  Also, can we include the name of our Parent Company on the truck?  For example “AB Insulation, a part of the AB Construction Services group of companies”?

A:  You are correct that Arizona requires that your advertisements include your license number, including “ROC” preceding the license number, and your business name under which you are licensed.  That being said, you would need to include the full name, AB Insulation Group Inc. dba AB Insulation, since that is the business name under which you are licensed.  I did not find anywhere in the law where it states that you cannot include a Parent Company’s name on the truck, but according to staff I spoke with at the ROC, you cannot include other business names on vehicles, only the business name on the license. This ‘strikes out’ any but the licensed name being used.

Q:  Hi, I have a “C-36” license and I was told by the CSLB that I cannot work on swamp coolers. We have done this since 1960, and while it’s not a major part of our business, it’s very irritating that I’m being told we can’t do it. It involves water supply, pump, and other “water” related parts and in my opinion should be included in the “C-36”(Plumbing) classification. How to I petition this and/or get a ruling?

A:  I understand your thinking with regards to the “water” related parts, however replacing or repairing swamp coolers would not be covered under your “C-36”.  Depending on the scope of what exactly you’re doing, it could be the “C-20” (HVAC), or the “D-34” (Prefabricated Equipment), or even a license with the Bureau of Electronics and Appliance Repair. So, as Mike Krukow says on Giant’s broadcasts, ‘grab some pine meat’ you are out. And so are we!