NV Bid Limits, Financials, Pest Control and “C-17” Licensing

One for all and all for one, as we help school contractors with an ‘on the money’ tip.  While we are based within sight of the CA Capitol Dome, many of our questions come from areas we also serve with contractor’s licensing assistance including AZ & NV…

Q:  Does Nevada’s monetary limit refer to the amount you are allowed to bid on, or the amount of the contract?  Also, does the limit refer to one job or all the work you have in progress?

A:  Nevada licensed contractors cannot bid on or contract in excess of the monetary limit that is assigned to their license.  The monetary limit refers to the maximum amount that a contractor can undertake on a single construction site or subdivision site for a single client.  Therefore, for instance, if you have a monetary limit of $1 million, you can have multiple jobs in progress as long as each of them is under $1 million.

Q:  Do you know what the licensure requirements are for pest control?

A:  A contractor’s license is not required to do pest control.  Beyond that I am unaware of the licensing requirements.  I would suggest contacting the California Department of Pesticide Regulation www.cdpr.ca.gov.

Q:  We have several licenses in Nevada that are coming up for renewal next month.  When we obtained the license, we were required to provide financial information, which being a newer business we didn’t have at the time.  We used one of our sister company’s financial information to qualify and it shows that entity on our license as the indemnitor, (or co-signer guarantor).  That company no longer exists.  How do we go about removing them from the license?  Also, we have cash bonds on our licenses that we would also like removed.  Is that possible?

A:  To remove an indemnitor, you would need to submit a letter signed by an Officer listed on the license requesting to remove the indemnification along with the appropriate financial statement for your company.  You can replace the cash bonds by submitting Surety bonds instead, but the Nevada Board will maintain the cash bonds for two years due to the statute of limitations for any work done while the cash bonds were in place.

Q:  I have an active “B” (General Building) and “C-17” (Glazing) license.  I am working for a consulting firm that wants to do some limited “C-17” contracting.  I want to associate my “C-17” classification as a Responsible Managing Employee (RME) with this consulting firm.  Will my General license remain active while the “C-17” is assigned to the company?  Will there be any problem re-instating me if and when I want to disassociate from the company license?

A:  As an RME you would be required to inactivate your personal license, which would include both the “B” and “C-17”.  As long as your personal license remains on Inactive status and all the other licensing requirements are met (bonds, etc.), you shouldn’t have an issue reactivating it once you disassociate from the company license.