Fencing Licenses & Limits, Electrical in NV, HIS Renewal and Inactive Fees

I will ‘fence’ with a General in battling our way to answers for our contractor readers. We ‘short shunt’ an electrical question about working in Nevada, but still can help make the ‘connection’. As we often advise here, an example of why keeping your address current with CSLB is important! …

Q:  In California, is a General Building “B” licensed contractor allowed to directly contract or subcontract for wood fencing construction and installation? The description for a General “B” scope of work does include carpentry, so I guess the question is wood fence installation considered carpentry work?

A:  A General Building contractor would not be permitted to take on a job that is strictly wood fencing.  General Building contractors must be performing at least two unrelated trades on the same job.  It would be somewhat of a gray area for a (“C-6”) Carpentry contractor to do wood fence installation.  The most appropriate classification for installing a wood fence would be “C-13” (fencing).

Q:  We are a “C-7” (Low Voltage) contractor in California and my boss wanted me to inquire to see if our license is valid in the State of Nevada?

A:  No, your California license is not valid in Nevada.  You would need to apply separately for a Nevada State Contractor’s License.  Electrical classifications are not included in the Reciprocal agreement between California and Nevada so your Qualifying individual would be required to take the trade and management exams.  Contact our office if you’d like assistance with the process.


Q:  I received a letter in the mail regarding the changes to the HIS (Home Improvement Salesperson) registration process.  I failed to notify the CSLB of my address change which is why it took so long for the letter to be forwarded.  Do I need to do anything or does my status just remain the same until my registration is up for renewal?

A:  Your status remains the same until renewal.  Prompted in part by the boom in the solar industry, as of January 1, 2016, the CSLB implemented a new process to simplify the process to a single registration, while still allowing the HIS to work for multiple licensed contractors.  There is a form that you will want to submit to update your address on file with the CSLB so that you continue to receive correspondence such as your renewal application.


The responsibility of notifying the CSLB of HIS employment now belongs to the licensed contractor.  Contractors employing HIS representatives are required to notify the CSLB in writing on the necessary form prior to employing the individual.  They also must notify the CSLB within 90 days after employment ceases. Keeping your address current is also good advice!

Q:  I received the application to renew my license which expires at the end of next month.  I went to work for another contractor so I’m going to pay the Inactive renewal fee since I’m not using my license right now.  Is the Inactive fee a one-time fee?  And what is the process to reactivate it when I want to in the future?

A:  You will be required to pay the Inactive renewal fee every two years.  In order to reactivate your license in the future, you would just need to request a reactivation form from the CSLB and pay the fee.  You will also need to meet the bond and insurance requirements at that time.