Stone Restoration Licensing, Well Drilling and Inactivating for Unsatisfied Judgements

While all contractors may find the work a ‘grind’ at times, yes, there is a license for that too! How long does it take to obtain a license to ‘sink’ wells in two states at once?  The ‘suspense’ is nail-biting, but the rules of licensing law won’t allow justice to be overcome by poor ‘judgment’…

Q:  I have been doing stone restoration for many years without a contractor’s license.  It has recently come up a few times that I should actually be licensed.  I did a little research on the CSLB’s website and I don’t see a classification that matches what I do.  I don’t install anything I just repair damaged stone countertops or other stone surfaces.  Basically when granite (or any other type of stone) is chipped or scratched, I will restore it by grinding it down to mask the chip, or polish it out to remove scratches.  What classification, if any, would fit for this type of work?

A:  If you are grinding the stone, you would need to have the “C-54” (Tile) classification. In order to obtain this license, you would need to pass both a law and trade exam.  If you are only polishing, buffing, and sealing the stone, a “C-61”/”D-64” (Non-Specialized) classification would be acceptable.  A Non-Specialized contractor “installs, modifies, maintains and repairs new products and/or new installations which are not defined in any section” of the Business and Professions Code (Contractors License Law).  The “C-61”/”D-64” classification does not have a trade exam, so only the law exam would be required.

Q:  We are a well drilling company based in Texas and we need to get licensed in California and Arizona.  What are the requirements and how quickly can this be done?

A:  Both California and Arizona require that you have an individual (employee or Officer) that can document at least four years of full time work experience in the well drilling trade.  That individual will need to pass a trade exam and a law exam in California administered by the CSLB.  The Arizona ROC requires that the person pass a Business/Management exam with PSI exams, as well as an exam administered by the Arizona Department of Water Resources.

The CSLB in California is currently expediting well drilling applications so the process will likely only take a couple of weeks, depending on fingerprinting.  The Arizona ROC processes applications in the order they receive them, and it typically takes between 2-3 months to obtain a license.

Contact our office to go over the additional requirements for obtaining a contractor’s license in California and Arizona.

Q:  My license was recently suspended because of an unsatisfied judgment.  I plan to take care of the this, but in the meantime, can I Inactivate my license so it doesn’t reflect a Suspended status?

A:  No, absolutely not, the CSLB will not let you Inactivate a license that wasSuspended due to an unsatisfied judgment.  The license will reflect the Suspension until you show proof that you have satisfied the judgment.