Waiver Limitations, Corp to Sole Owner Transfers and “A” or “B” License?

Like a broken ‘pinata’ after you’ve spilled the candy some time has to pass before you can take another ‘waiver’ and expect candy again. Another contractor’s ‘sole’ purpose is to continue working after his company quits!  I also help an Oregon contractor make a good landing in taking a ‘leap of faith’…

Q:  My company has had a “B” (General Building) license since 2010.  My boss added the “C-33” (Painting) classification to the license in 2011.  The boss has been wanting me to get my license in case anything ever happens to him.  So last year I applied to replace him on the license with a Request to Waive the Exams based on B&P Code Section 7065.1.  The CSLB approved the waiver of the “B” but denied a waiver of the “C-33” because it had not been on our license for a full five years at the time.  Instead of taking the test, we just removed the “C-33” from our application and only moved forward with the “B” classification.

It has now been over five years since we’ve had the Painting class so I’d like to now apply to replace him with another Waiver of the Exam.  Can you help us with that?  I just don’t want there to be any hiccups in the process this time.

A:  While I can also suggest several ways to avoid real hiccups, since you were just granted a Waiver of the “B” classification last year, you will not be able to request another again so soon.  Under B&P Code Section 7065.1(c)(3), a firm cannot request a Waiver under this subdivision more than once within the past five years.

Q:  I am the Responsible Managing Employee (RME) for a Corporation.  The owners are going to retire and shut the business down.  How do I go about getting the license number put in my own name?

A: The license number cannot be transferred to you as an individual.  The license number belongs to the corporation, not to you as an individual.  You will need to apply for a new Sole Owner license and you will be issued a new number.  You will also need to Disassociate from the Corporation’s license.  When applying for the Sole Owner license you will not be required to re-test, however you will need to provide a Bond and if you are hiring employees, proof of Worker’s Compensation Insurance.

Q:  I am a Contractor in Oregon and I will be moving to California this summer and I’d like to get a jump start on the application since I know these things can take some time.  I do General Construction (ground up construction as well as remodels).  I’m not sure if I should apply for the “A” or the “B”.  I was thinking the “A” because, doesn’t it cover everything?

A:  Good idea to get a jump start on the licensing process!  It is a common misconception that the “A” (General Engineering) classification covers everything.  The “A” classification is for contractors whose principle business is in connection with fixed works which require specialized Engineering knowledge.  From what you described, it sounds like the “B” (General Building) license would be more appropriate.