Qualifier Exam Waiver Rule, AZ Licenses and Fingerprinting ‘Alien’ Corporate Officers

We help a Vice President ‘waive’ goodbye to the former owner and ‘qualify’ to grab a higher rung in his rise to better things! However, it’s a yes and no answer, like our second question from a contractor ‘moving’ on to a new state. The fingerprint requirement is just the first hurdle a ‘foreign’ contractor must complete, as our expert answer points out another they didn’t anticipate in becoming licensed in CA…

Q:  In 2014 you helped one of our Officers replace the former owner of the company when he retired and he was able to Waive the exam based on his years of experience with the company.  Now he wants to obtain his own license and so I have been designated to be the new Responsible Managing Officer (RMO).  I have been with my company for over 15 years with various positions; Foreman, Supervisor, Project Manager, Estimator, and now hold the title of Vice President.  Can you assist me with process of replacing the current RMO and asking for a Waiver of the Exams like you did for the current Qualifier a couple of years ago?

A:  Yes and no. Let me clarify. We would be happy to assist you with the process of replacing your current Qualifier.  It sounds like you have the requisite experience.  Your current RMO requested a Waiver based on B&P Code Section 7065.1c, which allows for a Waiver of the Exam if you have worked for the company in a supervisory capacity for five out of the last seven years.  Unfortunately, you will not qualify for the same Waiver of the Exams because 7065.1c further states that a company cannot make this request if they have requested a Waiver under that subdivision within the past five years.

Q:  I have had a California Contractor’s license for many years (over 20) and I plan to move to Arizona in the near future.  I read that there is reciprocity so I shouldn’t have to take the trade exam in Arizona.  Is obtaining a Contractor’s license there pretty similar to what I went through to get my California license?

A:  Yes and no. There are many steps to obtaining an Arizona Contractor’s License that differ from California’s licensing process.  For example, in Arizona you take you take your exam(s) first, before submitting the application paperwork.  Additionally, Arizona requires that you complete an online background check as opposed to being formally fingerprinted. There are several other differences between the process of obtaining an Arizona license vs. California.  Capitol Services specializes with assisting you with the entire Arizona licensing procedure so please contact my office and we can further discuss the requirements including limits to reciprocity in some cases.

Q:  I am an attorney and I have a client based in New Zealand.  They are incorporated in Delaware and have also registered as a foreign corporation in California.  They need to obtain either a “C-10” (Electrical) or “C-7” (Low Voltage) license in California.  I understand the President must be named on the application.  Will there be any need for this individual to travel to California during the process?

A:  While there is no need for the President to travel to California, he will be required to be fingerprinted and the fingerprinting process is quicker if he gets fingerprinted in California via live scan.  Hard copy fingerprint cards take longer to process.  Be aware that the President is also required to either have a US Social Security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification number.