CSLB Fees, “C-10”, Trail-building License and NV Qualifiers

Yes, no and sometimes a maybe. Answering questions about the complex law and interpretations of it in the real world is why it’s often hard for contractors to know what’s what; yes, no or maybe! Getting it wrong can be costly, and why we always welcome your questions…

Q:  We are replacing our Qualifying Individual in Nevada.  He only qualifies the Business portion of the license.  Does he still need to get the four references completed?

A:  No, only Trade Qualifiers are required to obtain references and complete a resume.

Q:  We are a non-profit organization that builds dirt trails.  Are we required to have a Contractor’s License and is the process any different for nonprofits?  Would a “C-27” (Landscaping) license work for this?

A:  Yes, you are required to have a Contractor’s License to build dirt trails.  The most appropriate license would be either the “A” (General Engineering) classification, or the “C-12” (Earthwork and Paving) classification.  The “C-27” classification would not cover you for the engineering involved in building the trails.

Q:  I completed an application in mid-July of last year and then we got busy and I never did anything with it.  I still have it with original signatures.  Can I submit this with dates from last year or will I need to get a new Certification page and everything?  I noticed the CSLB released new applications late last year.

A: Maybe, before deadlines. You may want to update the dates on the application, but the CSLB will currently still accept the old forms.  However, effective May 1, 2017, the CSLB will no longer accept older forms.  All applications submitted after May 1st are required to have a revision date of October 2016 (or later) reflected in the bottom left corner.

Also, the sooner you get it submitted the better, because effective July 1, 2017, the CSLB’s fees are going to increase.  For example, the current license/application fee will be increased from $480 to $530.

Q:  I have a “C-10” (Electrical) Contractor who wants to work with my corporation. He wants to still work with his licensed Sole Proprietorship while he works with me as a Responsible Managing Officer (RMO). Is this possible?  How can we structure it so he can Qualify my corporation for a “C-10” license while he still has an Active Sole Proprietor?

A: Yes.”  The “C-10” Contractor would be required to have at least 20% ownership in your corporation in order for your scenario to work out. Also recommend checking with a tax and legal advisor in this choice.