Renewals and Changes of Address, RME & RMO and General Advertising on Trucks

While time changes us, it doesn’t ‘age’ most of the rules and regulations for contractors. However, in this ‘blast from the past’ we take a look back at answers that remain the same.  Find more on under Archives! …


Q.   I have a question that is going to stump you.  I have a mobile service that does spray-on truck bed-liners.  I want to expand into using this spray on floors.  The supplier says I do NOT need a contractor license.  However, I want to make sure it’s legal for me to apply this polyurethane material on floors with no trouble from the State. If you can reply to my e-mail I would appreciate it.

A.  Sorry, but you can’t stump this Expert.  If you’re refinishing floors or using a synthetic sealant like the one described, you will need a contractor’s license.  This would either be a “C-15” (flooring) or “D-12” (synthetic products) classification.  A contractor’s license is required if the job is $500 or more.  While projects under this amount do not need a license, you must state in writing to every customer that you’re working as an unlicensed contractor.


Q.:   I was just issued a General building license.  What size does the wording need to be on my trucks?  What information is required on each vehicle?

A.:   Every contractor (other than plumbers, well drillers and electrical sign installers) must display his or her business name and contractor’s license number in a clearly visible location on all commercial vehicles used in their construction business.  This is specified in B&P Code Section 7029.6, as is a requirement that print type be “at least 72-point font or 3/4 of an inch in height and width”.  The three trades singled out above are required to have “all letters and numerals not less than 1 1/2 inches high” (section 7029.5).


Q:  I have been attempting to get a license for a new corporation. An employee has offered to be the qualifying employee but from my understanding cannot because he has been with the company less than five years in the last seven.  Is this only for the RME or can the qualifying employee be listed as an officer.  I have been having some confusion about this and would appreciate your help.

A:  Your employee can become the RME or RMO for the corporation if he has at least 4 years experience (at a journeyman level or above) and can pass the required law and trade exams.

There is no requirement that your employee have “been with the company five of the last seven years”.  This would only be an issue if you had an existing corporation and the employee hoped to get a aiver of the exam to replace the present Qualifier.


Q:  I never received my renewal in the mail.  Do you have any idea when the Contractors Board would have sent this out?  Assuming it was more than a few weeks ago, would you be able to pick up a renewal for my company?  I don’t want to take any chances that the license may expire.

A:  Normally, the CSLB sends license renewals between 60 and 75 days prior to expiration.  In your case, it appears the renewal application went out about two weeks ago.  You can call the Board and order a replacement or I can go to CSLB headquarters and pick one up on your behalf.

Since the Postal Service generally does not forward renewal applications, be sure to notify the CSLB immediately if you have moved or changed your mailing address.

While some things change, and contractor rules do, some remain the same. New law, changes in interpretation and the sheer volume of regulations are signposts suggesting an expert opinion might be wise. For more than 30 years we’ve had your back!