“C-10” and Low Voltage Waiver, Adding Classes and Replacement Qualifiers

What’s better than getting a new driver’s license you can renew by mail? How about getting a waiver on testing to add new opportunity to your contractor license! These contractors learned that sometimes you can, and sometimes you can’t…

Q:  We currently have a “C-10” (Electrical) license.  I am aware that we can do low voltage work with our current license, however some of our customer’s request that we have a “C-7” (Low Voltage) license in order to do telecommunications work.  How difficult would it be to add that classification to our license?  Would I have to take the test?

A:  B&P Code section 7065.3 allows for Contractors to request a Waiver of the Trade Exam for some additional classifications – if the classification is closely related to your current license and is a significant portion of the work you perform.  These Waiver requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and is dependent on your work experience and project background, but I believe you would have a pretty good chance of being approved to Waive the exam based on your “C-10” experience.  Waiver requests need to be done in writing.

Q:  I currently have an “A” (General Engineering) license in CA.  While I know I can do concrete work with my “A” license, sometimes in order to do a foundation or a sidewalk, people want to see that we have the “C-8” (Concrete) classification on our license.  How do I go about sitting for the exam and adding it to our license?

A:  You will need to complete and submit the Application for Additional Classification.  You will be required to show at least four years of full time work experience doing concrete work specifically.  With regards to the exam, B&P Code Section 7065.3 allows the CSLB to consider a Waiver of the Trade exam for someone holding a closely related classification, if you can prove that concrete is a significant portion of your General Engineering work. Sweet!  Waiver requests however are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and there is no assurance the CSLB will approve the request.

Q:  In 2014 you helped one of our Officers replace the former owner of the company when he retired and he was able to Waive the exam based on his years of experience with the company.  Now he wants to obtain his own license and so I have been designated to be the new Responsible Managing Officer (RMO).  I have been with my company for over 15 years with various positions; Foreman, Supervisor, Project Manager, Estimator, and now hold the title of Vice President.  Can you assist me with process of replacing the current RMO and asking for a Waiver of the Exams like you did for the current Qualifier a couple of years ago?

A:  Yes and no. Let me clarify. We would be happy to assist you with the process of replacing your current Qualifier.  It sounds like you have the requisite experience.  Your current RMO requested a Waiver based on B&P Code Section 7065.1c, which allows for a Waiver of the Exam if you have worked for the company in a supervisory capacity for five out of the last seven years.  Unfortunately, you will not qualify for the same Waiver of the Exams because 7065.1c further states that a company cannot make this request if they have requested a Waiver under that subdivision within the past five years.