License Renewal, Criminal Records and Posting Changes

Getting ‘straight’ to the point, it’s not how you start but how you finish in our first contractor’s question. A helping hand is extended in an answer, while another contractor’s application is sent back to ‘square one’…

Q:  Many years ago, when I was young and stupid, I got in some trouble and have a couple of convictions.  The Contractor’s license application instructs me to complete a disclosure statement for each conviction.  I don’t remember the details of each incident so how do I fill these out?  Should I go request documents from the County in order to get case numbers and such?

A:  No, most of the time it is not necessary to provide official court records.  We always recommend you complete them as well/much as you can.  Case numbers and specific dates are not required, just general information, whatever you can remember, for each conviction is required.  The CSLB will contact you if they need any further information.

Q:  Our Contractor’s license expires at the end of August.  Is it up to us to chase down the renewal form to make sure it doesn’t expire, or is it as simple as paying a fee online?

A:  Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as paying a fee online.  Don’t panic, the CSLB will send you a renewal application by mail approximately 60 days prior to your expiration date so you will likely receive it any time now.  If you don’t, contact our office and we can assist you.

Q:  Our company applied for a contractor’s license a year ago and due to our Qualifying Individual’s busy schedule, he has had to re-schedule the exam several times.  He is now leaving the company.  Our application is going to go “void” as of February 2019. Can we amend our application to designate a different Qualifier?

A:  Your application has already been “posted” and the CSLB does not allow for changes to your application once it’s been posted.  Your company will need to withdraw the current application and re-apply with your new Qualifier.

Q:  We are licensed contracting company in Southern California and we are going to be working a project in Arizona in the Fall.  Do we have to have been licensed in California for five years in order to qualify for the Reciprocal agreement?

A:  No, you do not!  The rule in Arizona is actually, if your qualifying party took the equivalent trade exams in another State (any State!) and has had a license in good standing at any point within the preceding five years, they may qualify for the Reciprocal agreement and qualify for a Waiver of the Trade exam.  The Construction Management exam is still required.