NV Financial Requirement, Adding a Family Member & Waiver Consideration for Generals

Your son may be bright but how can you ‘incorporate’ him on your license?A ‘concrete’ result for a General’s inquiry will require greater details to be firmed up and a new Nevada venture will need to make a ‘statement’ to be successful…

Q:  My son has been working for me for years.  He’s not an Officer of the company.  Is there any way to add him to the license?

A:  There are only two capacities in which an individual can be listed on a corporate license: either as an Officer, or as the Qualifying Individual. So, the only way to add him to the license currently would be to replace you as the Qualifying Individual.  

Q:  I am a General Building contractor and I want to add the “C-8” Concrete classification to my license.  Is there any way that I can get a Waiver of the exam based on the fact that I’ve been doing concrete work with my General license for many years?

A:  There are certain circumstances where you can ask for a Waiver of a Specialty Classification based on the current classification that you hold.  The CSLB mayconsider a waiver if you meet the following requirements: a) The Qualifier has been listed as a member of the personnel for five of the last seven years immediately preceding the application; b) The Qualifier has at least four years of experience within the last 10 (Journeyman level or above) in the classification being applied for; and c) The classification being applied for, as determined by the Registrar, is closely related and is a significant component of the classification currently on the license.

Be aware that when requesting a Waiver of an additional classification you will likely be required to provide additional documentation, such as detailed project forms showing that your additional classification has been a significant part of your work.

Q:  I am in the process of completing an application for a Nevada Contractor’s License. The application states that we need to provide a Financial Statement no more than a year old. Our fiscal year end is March 31st so the last audit that we had done was last year.  Our next audit will not be complete for another month, which is exactly when the bid date is for the project we are seeking in Nevada.  Will the Nevada Board accept our last financial statement if we provide a letter from our accountant stating that new one is not complete yet and explaining that March 31stis our fiscal year end?  If not, can I at least take the exam ahead of time?

A:  No, unfortunately Nevada will not budge on the requirement.  You absolutely have to provide a Financial Statement dated within the last year.  They will not approve you to take the exam prior to providing an acceptable financial statement.