Qualifying Multiple Licenses, Fire Prevention Rule and SWIFT Justice

Props to a publisher who gets a ‘swift’ pat on the back, a good answer for a helpful pair and we get ‘real’, really…

It’s great to see the work of the CSLB SWIFT enforcement teams get front page coverage in the Sacramento area’s Messenger Publishing newspapers and websites. Unlicensed activity just hurts everyone, a harm to consumers and a foul for licensed contractors. According to the CSLB story in the Carmichael Times and other community editions, 13 were nabbed by SWIFT in an operation in the Gold River suburbs of Sacramento. A repeat offender was among those caught in the home improvements ‘bid’ sting conducted with the Rancho Cordova Police Department. 

Q:  I am a General Contractor and I purchase cabinets from a “one-man-show” company.  He is a supplier and doesn’t do any installations, he leaves that up to me.    He recently purchased a skid steer tractor that he uses to mow down weeds, grind out old stumps, and do some minor grading.  He does this for homeowners that are trying to keep weeds down to protect against fires. Does her need a specific classification or license to work done?

A:  Good question and we all appreciate the effort to prevent anymore disasters in CA!  As long as the method used to clear the brush does not alter the grade of the land, a Contractor’s license is not required. If they are performing grading and the cost of the project is $500 or more, a Contractor’s license is required. The “C-12” (Earthwork and Paving) classification would be the most appropriate. If the cost of a stump grinding project is $500 or more, a Contractor’s license is required. In that case, the most appropriate classification is the “D-49” (Tree Service) classification.  Have him contact us if he needs to obtain a license!

Q:  We recently applied for a new license using the same Qualifier as our subsidiary based on 7068.1.  They sent us a “rejection” letter stating we needed to provide an organizational chart, with several requirements including personnel, ownership percentages, signatures, etc.  Is all of that really required?  Because we don’t usually provide detailed org charts like this with Officers signing off on it. Are you able to provide me with the section of the law that requires this, only because I know my boss will ask for it for his review?

A:  Yes, it is required to provide an organizational chart when you are requesting to use the same Qualifier on multiple licensesbased on B&P Code 7068.1(2).  I had to inquire with the CSLB to see which code/law requires this and was informed it is CA Code of Regulations 816(c).