Renting Licenses, Qualifier Suspensions and Corporate to LLC Number Transfers

If it seems like the ‘easy’ way, it most likely is also the wrong way, especially in contractor rules and regulations. There are reasons things are done the ‘right’ way. A ‘suspenseful’ inquiry is less dramatic with an expert solution and I find a way to keep some ‘history’ in the family…

Q:  I have an opportunity in Nevada to install drilled pier foundations on a large project, but I am not licensed in Nevada.   Is there an ability for me to “borrow” or “rent” an “A-9” license?  I’m wondering if there are people who maintain a license that would be willing to act as the Responsible Managing Employee for a specific project?  And if so, how can I get in touch with those people?

A:  Thank you for contacting Capitol Services.  You cannot “borrow” or “rent” a license.  There are individuals who can and will act as your Qualifier, however it’s usually for a long-term agreement/employment opportunity.  I’ve never heard of that for just one project.  Plus, there are additional paperwork requirements such as a Business License and a Financial Statement which may or may not be worth it for you if you are only doing one project in Nevada, not to mention added Insurance obligations with employees. 

I’m not sure how you would go about finding an individual to be your Qualifier, I assume it’s the same as how you would normally seek new hires.

Q:  We currently have a “B” (General Building) license which is Suspended due to lack of Qualifier.  We are looking for a replacement, however we are already almost 45 days in to our 90-day deadline and I’m worried the new individual will not be able to sit for the exams in ample time.  We have an employee who just recently obtained a personal “C-46” (Solar) license.  Are we able to use his qualifications to take over our “B” license?  Most of our work is solar related anyway.

A:  He cannot “take over” the “B” license with his “C-46” qualification.  However, he could add the “C-46” to the license in order to remove the suspension.  Also, if you have someone in mind to replace your current Qualifier for the “B”, you can submit the application for him/her to sit for the exams, and at the same time request a 90-day extension to complete the process.

Q:  I read your Q&A article in Engineering Contractors’ Association (ECA) September magazine and saw that you answered a question regarding transferring a California Contractors License number.  I am a C-Corp contractor, licensed in CA, and want to convert to an LLC.  Can I convert to an LLC and keep my current license number?  It has history as my great-grandfather started this company in 1932, and the license number was issued in 1955, so it’s a very low license number.  I understand the benefits of converting to an LLC, would very much like to keep this number.

A: If your corporate license is in good standing immediately prior to requesting that the number be transferred and if your Personnel (meaning Officers of record with the CSLB) are remaining the same, you can transfer the number.  Once it’s transferred, you can then make any changes to personnel and what not.