NV/AZ Landscaper and Urgent Qualifier Replacement

One question often leads to another so finding the best way forward comes with experience and expertise! However, you should never be ‘sorry’ to ask the questions. I will also ‘broker’ an answer for another contractor hoping to work across state lines…

Q: I just received a letter from the CSLB notifying me my Qualifying Individual disassociated from my license. He didn’t give any notice or anything and when I contacted him, he informed us he had to disassociate in order to be added to another Company’s license. I was a bit shocked to say the least! 

My plan is to take over and replace him on the license right away. However, I am in the middle of two jobs and I’m wondering how long you think it will take knowing the CSLB can take a long time to process these things. Can they issue a temporary extension? Do you think I should transfer these job permits over to another contractor I know? Lastly, would this be a good time to transfer my license over to an ‘S’-corporation? Sorry for all the questions, but I’m feeling anxious and overwhelmed with a Suspended license!

A: No need to apologize, I can understand your surprise and sense of uneasiness. The CSLB will only grant extensions if you request them before the 90-day deadline and if you have a current application in process. So unfortunately, you lost that option already. The replacement process will likely take at least four weeks, and possibly more depending on how quickly you schedule the exams. With a Suspended license, you cannot legally be doing any contracting work so your idea of transferring your contracts/permits to a licensed contractor is a good option so you don’t find yourself in any trouble.

Q: I am a Business Broker and I have a client who is in the process of buying a landscape business located in Nevada that also operates in Arizona.  They typically do normal maintenance and some planting of plants and converting from grass to desert.  They do a very small amount of major overhaul with large plants and trees.  We are unsure if they are required to hold a license or not, could you help answer that?

A: Your client will need a contractor’s license in Nevada if they are doing landscaping work over $1000 in labor and materials. For the work described, a contractor’s license may not be required in Arizona. A license would be required if they are doing hardscaping work such as irrigation systems, concrete, patios, low voltage lighting, outdoor kitchens, etc.

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) has an important reminder for contractors who perform mechanical systems acceptance tests. Any person performing these tests in a nonresidential building must be certified as an acceptance test technician (ATT) by an acceptance test technician certification provider (ATTCP). The mechanical systems ATT requirement is part of the Building Energy Efficiency Standards (Energy Code) Section 10-103.2.

Additionally, an ATT certification has been required to perform the lighting controls acceptance tests in compliance with the Energy Code for all newly installed or modified lighting controls in nonresidential buildings since July 2014.