RME & Personal Licenses, Scope of Electrical and Qualifier Bonds

You are welcome, it’s always nice to get some ‘concrete’ appreciation! I also straighten out some ‘crossed wires’ on electrical rules for a contractor and my last answer will require a ‘calendar’ alert to work…

Q: First of all, thanks for your continued help with getting our “C-8” (Concrete) license.  A quick question – as you know, our “C-8” qualifier is already on our license holding the “A” General Engineering classification. He has a $12,500 bond on record because he owns less than 10%.  Does he need to post a separate qualifier bond for the new “C-8” now, or is it already covered by the bond we have on file?

A: Just one bond of qualified individual is required for the qualifying party regardless of how many classifications the individual holds. All good! 

Q: We are a “C-7” licensed low voltage installation company. We have a licensed “C-10” (Electrical) employee on staff. Can our licensed electrician train our other non “C-10” employees to perform installation tasks with high voltage such as changing out electrical outlets and light switches? Once they learn are they then permitted to perform these tasks on jobsites on their own as long as we still have a licensed “C-10” on staff?

A: For the sake of conversation, let’s call your company “Company A”. It is my understanding “Company A” has a “C-7” Low Voltage license. Even if Company A employs a licensed “C-10” contractor, while the C10 contractor is welcome to train/teach Company A’s employees high voltage work, Company A’s employees cannot perform “C-10” work on their own without the “C-10” Electrical classification attached to Company A’s license.

 In fact, the “C-10” employee is technically not supposed to be performing C10 work on Company’s A’s projects as an employee if the Company strictly holds the “C-7” (Low Voltage) classification. Company A and all of its employees should only be performing low voltage work. The “C-10” employee would only be able to do higher voltage work as a subcontractor for Company A.

Q: I got a renewal letter for my personal contractor’s license which is currently inactive. If I do not keep my license inactive, and instead let it expire, will that affect the company license since I am the Qualifier for their “A” (General Engineering) license?

A: No, it does not affect the Company license. Be aware after five years of the license being expired, you’ll have to re-apply for the license and request the number be re-issued. I suggest just keeping it on your calendar to renew at some point in the future before you hit the five-year mark.

Q: It is my understanding in order for me to become the Responsible Managing Employee (RME) for a company license, I am required to inactivate my personal license. Does the “inactivation” have any permanent effect on the license? Is it only a designation that is required so long as I am serving as a qualifier for a company, and it can be re-activated without issue as soon as I no longer work for the company?

A: The inactivation does not have any permanent effect and it can be re-activated at any time once you are no longer acting as an RME for another license. At the time you re-activate, you may need to update/pay your bond and such depending on how long it remains on inactive status.