AZ License Required, CA License Class Limit and Concrete Pumping

New year coming and that’s new opportunity! I answer some questions that contain a gem, that is a clue to potential new territory or work. First, how can your license open up bids and work in another state? How about in CA? Truly, licensed contractors have many options only an expert can discover…

Q:  I currently have a “C-61”/ “D-06” (Concrete related services) license in CA.  My company does concrete pumping.  We have some potential work in Nevada.  I have reviewed Nevada’s classification list and it doesn’t appear that they have anything that is equivalent.  Do I even need a license to perform this work in Nevada?

A:  Thank you for contacting us.  If all you are doing is delivering and pumping from the truck then no, a contractor’s license is not required in Nevada.  The CA license you hold may also open doors in other states thru direct and indirect means like reciprocity. Call with question about yours as space here is limited. 

Q:  Is there any limit to the number of classifications I can have on my license?  We are considering adding some additional classifications to our “C-20” (HVAC) license to expand our range of services.

A:  No, there is no limit to the number of classifications a license can hold.  Keep in mind for each classification, you are required to have an individual who can document at least four years of full-time work experience in the specific trade you are applying for.

Q:  I am a California licensed contractor, and I am going to be retiring and moving to Arizona.  I don’t plan on continuing working however, I know there is a Reciprocal agreement between California and Arizona, and I figure it may not be a bad idea to get my Arizona license just in case I want to take on some small projects or subcontractor work.  

Again, I don’t anticipate any large projects.  California has the rule of not performing any unlicensed contracting work over $500 with labor and materials.  Does Arizona have that same rule?  I’m thinking I may be okay just limiting any work which may come up to $500, but obviously want to confirm it’s the same over there.  Thank you for your time.

A:  Arizona’s rule is if the entire cost of the project, including labor and materials is over $1000, or requires a permit by the local municipality, the person or business performing the work needs to be licensed. We can assist you in AZ, just in case.