“Reviving” a ‘dead’ CA license, metal studs and Joint Venture licensing

Can an old CA contractor’s license be brought back to life again when it ‘died’ a decade ago? The ‘mettle’ of a framing contractor is tested and we finish by helping readers learn what it takes to pull together to form a ‘joint venture’ effort…



Q: My husband had a CA license and failed to renew it on time.   It expired back in 2000. Now he wants to renew it. He currently has an Arizona “K-11” (Electrical) license that he has held for approx 12yrs.  How does he go about this in the quickest way, as we are looking to move to CA early next year?

A: Thank you for contacting Capitol Services Inc.  Because his CA license has been expired for over 5 years he can no longer ‘renew’ it.  He can however re-apply for the license and request that the number be re-issued.  As you may know, there is a reciprocal agreement between CA and AZ so he can request to waive the trade exam based on the fact that he has been licensed for the past five years in Arizona.  He’ll still be required to take the law test again.  The process to obtain the license will likely take about 8 weeks, so if you begin soon, he will have the license before you move.  Let us know if you’d like help with the process.

Q:  I need assistance with determining what classification my company will need to meet the requirements to do metal stud framing in the State of California.  I don’t do Structural Steel, just the metal stud framing.  I also handle the drywall and insulation to finish off the wall, so I’m not sure if I need separate classifications to do that, or if it would be covered under the framing.  Thank you in advance.

A: In order to do the metal stud framing you’ll need a “C-5” (Framing and Rough Carpentry) classification.  Even though drywall and insulation are part of your projects, the CSLB will require you to have the “C-2” (Insulation) and “C-9” (Drywall) classifications to perform this work because the “C-5” doesn’t cover these trades.  According to the CSLB, the “B” classification would cover you for all three trades; however, in our experience we have found it is difficult to qualify for the exam without electrical, concrete, roofing and/or plumbing experience.



Q:   I am inquiring about the fees and requirements to set up a Joint Venture with another contractor. I want to bid a project that requires both “C-20”(HVAC) and “C-10”(Electrical) licenses. My firm only holds the HVAC and would like to partner with another contractor whom holds both. Please let me know what all is required, particularly the application process.


A:  A Joint Venture (JV) consists of two or more entities, each of which holds a valid CA contractor’s license in good standing.  Since you hold the “C-20”, you could locate a company with the “C-10” or, as indicated, “another contractor whom holds both”.  A JV application signed by all Qualifiers and an Officer of record for each entity is required.  You’ll also need to post a $12,500 Contractor’s Bond, which is in addition to the bond you presently have on your corporate license.  Further, a new Worker’s Comp policy (or certified Exemption) is necessary.  The State fee will run $555.00.