General “A” & Concrete, ‘Walk In” License Testing & Unlicensed Work Experience

Can you walk right in, sit right down and take the license exam? A General wants to get off the ‘asphalt’ and set up a ‘concrete’ detour, while a handyman walks the line, only occasionally running over the rules…

Q:  I have an “A” license and my company generally does roadwork construction.  A subcontractor who we frequently use for various projects, requested that we do some concrete work for a residential job that he is doing.  Are we allowed to take a job for just concrete with our General (“A”) license?

A:  According to the CSLB’s website, “an “A” contractor can contract to perform all or any part of a project that falls under the “A” classification…therefore an “A” contractor could take a contract to build a fence or pour concrete if the work was originally or is currently part of the type of projects listed in B&P Code section 7056 (airports, roads and similar “fixed works”).

That being said, B&P Code section 7056 lists various projects that fall under the “A” classification such as roadwork, power plants, pipeline, etc. but with regards to concrete it states “paving and surfacing work and cement and concrete works in connection with the above-mentioned fixed works.”  My interpretation of that is that no, you would not be able to contract for just a concrete job unless it is in connection to a project that required other engineering knowledge and skill.

Q:  I am currently in the process of obtaining my license and the CSLB recently scheduled me a test date but its three weeks out.  I was hoping to get in sooner because I have a project coming up that I want to bid on.  Is there any way to get my exam date pushed ahead?

A:  Yes, once you have an exam date the CSLB allows you to take the exams on a walk-in basis in any of their testing locations.  From what we hear, the walk-in method is very successful.  We always recommend bringing your testing notification with you. Good luck!

Q:  I am self-employed and have been doing construction work for many years without a license.  Most of my projects are under $500, but I do admit that I have done projects that have been over $500.  I want to obtain my contractor’s license, but I’m not sure how to document my experience since it was un-licensed work.  Will I automatically be cited when they are made aware of my work?

A:  When you apply for a contractor’s license, the CSLB doesn’t automatically cite you when you document un-licensed activity.  The CSLB’s goal is to license experienced contractors because they do not want you to continue operating without a license.  The key for you will be documenting your history, as self-employment experience is difficult to prove.  When you submit your application the CSLB will likely give you a list of supporting documents (in addition to your Certification of Work Experience page) that you may need to supply such as permits, contracts, cancelled checks, etc.