General Subcontracting, Adding a Family Member & Work Experience for CA Applications

‘Handing down’ an opportunity to work is one of the ‘general’ reasons to have a “B” contractor’s license. A father hopes to ‘hand-over’ his license to a son, but finds he’ll need an expert solution to make it happen while our last Q/A offers a ‘hand’ in documenting work experience…

Q:  We have a client with a General building license.  The company was hired by another “B” contractor to be their sub on a commercial project. They were hired to complete 4 different classifications, including plumbing and roofing.  In turn, my client wants to subcontract at least one trade to a licensed specialty contractor.  In reading Section 7057, I see where this appears to be okay for my client, but I would like your opinion on whether they’re in compliance if, for instance, they only sub out the painting trade?

A:  Your General (“B”) building client meets the criteria for taking this subcontract in that it “requires at least two unrelated trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry”.  While Section 7057 does not specifically address the creation of a “second-tier” sub, it would be proper to issue a subcontract for this one trade as long as the subcontractor holds a valid “C-33” contractors license.  As a “B”, your client can either self-perform all the trades; subcontract all the trades; or provide a combination of the two.

Q: I want to add my son to my General contractor’s license so he can gain the experience to eventually get his own license. What is the best way to accomplish this?

A: As we discussed, since you currently have a Sole Owner license, your son can only be added to your license if he Qualifies a classification OTHER THAN “B”, which you hold. The CSLB does not allow two people to simultaneously Qualify the same classification on the same license. However, there is a way to a better answer.

While your son has done some limited work in the construction trades, it does not appear he is currently qualified to hold a California contractor’s license.  Therefore, your option is to form a corporation, LLC or Partnership listing your son as an Officer, Member or Partner.  Once he has four years of journeyman or supervisory level work experience in the trades, he’ll have the opportunity to qualify for his own license or replace you as the Qualifying individual.

Q:  I was hoping that you can help me with my Certification of Work Experience page.  Where it requires me to list my specific trade duties I plan to write “estimate, pull permits, work with building inspectors, planning officials, and fire inspectors in most of the Bay Area counties, supervise sub-contractors on site.”  Will that be sufficient?

A:  No, the CSLB wants to see specific trade duties relating to the classification you are applying for.  For example, the “B” General Building classification requires that you have at least four years of experience doing Framing and two unrelated trades (such as Cabinetry and Plumbing).  They don’t need to know about the duties you mentioned since they aren’t trade specific.  Let me know if you’d like me to review your re-write which is recommended here. Helping contractor’s make quick, successful applications is one of the things we do most often.