Work Experience, Signatures Required and Discussion of “C-1” Licensing

An aspiring contractor needs a ‘sign’ his experience will count and keep his license application secret, while another learns an unfortunate lesson on scheduling when you have more than one Qualifier. A Board proposal ‘building’ momentum may be of great interest to Generals and others…

Q:  I’ve worked for a construction company for over five years and I’m considering getting my own license.  How many references/certifiers do I need to have sign off on my work experience?  I don’t really want to inform my employer or supervisor that I’m getting my own license so who do you recommend I have sign my experience page?


A:  You only need to have one certifier sign your work experience page if you’ve worked for the same company for a four-year period.  You are only required to have more than one certifier if you are verifying experience gained from two or more separate employers.


While it is best to have your employer sign your work experience page, you can also use a fellow employee or a sub-contractor or really anyone who has first hand knowledge of your work experience.  Be sure to include a note on the application that you do not want the CSLB to contact your employer.


Q:  We have two Qualifiers on our license, one is a Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) and qualifies our “A” (Engineering) classification, and the other is a Responsible Managing Employee (RME), who qualifies our “B” (Building) license.  We sent in our renewal with our RMO’s signature on it and the CSLB rejected it because the RME didn’t sign as well.  Our license has since expired on the 31st.  Our RME is currently on vacation and not available to sign for another two weeks.  Is there a way to contact someone in the Renewal Unit and have them process the “A” renewal so that we can continue that part of our work?

A:  There is no way for the CSLB to process a renewal until all qualifying individuals listed on the license have signed the form.
We are frequently asked if there is a ‘handyman’ license.  We also get calls from contractors all the time who want a General Building (“B”) Contractor’s License to do remodel and repair work, but they’ve never done ground up construction.  Over the years we have had to tell them that in order to qualify for a “B” license they must be able to document at least four years of journeyman level experience performing framing and two unrelated trades.  This framing requirement disqualifies many contractors who have experience doing much of the General Building trades, but don’t actually build structures.

At a recent Board meeting, the CSLB discussed a staff recommendation to adopt a new   “C-1” Classification for Non-Structural Remodel/Repair Contractors.  The proposed classification is described as “A non-structural remodeling and repair contractor remodels and repairs existing structures of three (3) stories or less, built for support, shelter and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels or movable property of any kind; provided that no load bearing portion of the existing structure is altered, added or moved; this includes footings, foundations, and weight bearing members.  This classification excludes “C-16” (Fire Protection) and “C-57” (Well Drilling) alterations and repairs.”

If this is added it will open doors for many who were otherwise excluded from licensure.  In addition, since there is a demand for remodel/repair contractors, many contractors are currently illegally performing this work, so adopting this classification will likely decrease the underground economy that currently exists.

You can be sure we will keep you posted on the progress of this proposal.