RME Compensation, Partnership Licensing and Professional Engineers

A question this contractor’s expert won’t answer! But, first several I will. Sometimes you don’t need a ‘pro’ to engineer an update on your license, and we share condolences over a loss, that for a ‘partner’ also causes collateral damage beyond death…

Q:  We need to obtain an “A” (General Engineering) license in California.   Are we required to have an employee who is a licensed Professional Engineer prior to getting a contractor’s license?

A:  No, it is not necessary to employ a Professional Engineer to qualify for a contractor’s License.  You are required to have a Qualifying individual who is a bona fide employee or Officer, who can document at least four years of experience in the General Engineering trade.

Q: My Dad and I have a Contractor’s License, we are a Partnership.  My Dad is the General Partner and I am the Limited Partner on the license.  My father recently passed away.  What are the options me with regards to the license?  It is my understanding that when a Partner disassociates from the license or passes away, the license is cancelled because the Partnership no longer exists.  However, is it possible for me to request a continuance to complete existing projects?

A:  You are correct that when a Partner disassociates or passes away (or if the Partnership dissolves), the license is cancelled.  With regards to a continuance, B&P Code Section 7076 allows for a General Partner to request a continuance of the license to complete projects contracted for or in progress prior to the date of disassociation or dissolution.  The Code does not provide for Limited Partners to request a continuance.

Be sure to notify the CSLB in writing within 90 days of the dissolution of the Partnership.  Failure to notify the Registrar within 90 days of the disassociation/dissolution is grounds for disciplinary action.

You will need apply for and obtain a new license to undertake new work and continue contracting. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Q:  My Dad is going to be retiring and I am replacing him as the RMO on our license.  He obtained the license over 40 years ago.  We have nine classifications, several which fall under the “C-61” (Limited Specialty) category.  When I was researching the classifications on the CSLB’s website, I see that one of our classifications, “C-61/D-51” no longer exists and it shows “Waterproofing and Weatherproofing – under relevant class.”  What is the “relevant class”?

A: The “D-51” (Waterproofing and Weatherproofing) was a “C-61” (Limited Specialty) category eliminated by the CSLB a number of years ago. This work now falls under any of several classifications, depending on the specific project you’re doing. The “relevant” classifications are “C-39 (Roofing), “C-33” (Painting), “C-29” (Masonry), or “C-54” (Tile). Therefore, if the waterproofing/weatherproofing you’re doing relates to roofing, you’ll need a “C-39”; if painting is your specialty, you’d need the “C-33”, and so on. Let us know if we can help further.

Q:  My employer has asked me to be the RME (Responsible Managing Employee) on the company’s license.  Do you know what the typical salary/compensation is for assuming the role of RME?

A:  We are asked this question frequently and unfortunately, we cannot address it.  We don’t get involved in that, it is up to you and your employer.