Corp License Family Transfer, Work Comp, Fingerprinting and Signing Authority

DNA isn’t required yet, but fingerprints still are. You may still have ink on your fingers from that unfortunate traffic stop, or another occasion that doesn’t count here. We ‘single’ out who can sign for an LLC contractor and share a ‘bittersweet’ answer for a son ‘liable’ to follow his father’s footsteps…

Q:  If our Corporate officers are all fingerprinted (not as part of the contractor license application process, but for our liquor licenses), will that accelerate the speed of the application process?  If so, how much time with it save us?

A: Everyone listed on the license application will be required to fingerprint for the CSLB if they haven’t done so in the past, regardless of whether they’ve been fingerprinted for other agencies or occasions.

Q:  We have a pending application in process and we received a request from the CSLB to provide either a Certificate of Worker’s Comp or an Exemption from Workers Comp form.  We will hire employees, but I don’t want to pay the high rates of the insurance yet.  We will not be officially hiring any employees for at least another six weeks. What do you suggest we do?

A:  I would recommend filing the Exemption form for now, and then once your company hires employees, you can submit the Certificate of Worker’s Compensation Insurance and they will update your license to reflect the policy.

Q:  We are in receipt of our contractor’s license Renewal.  We are a single Member managed LLC with the single Member being a Corporation.  We have two Responsible Managing Employees (RME) that will be signing the Renewal.  For the “Officer” signature, can we have any of the Corporation Officers sign or does it need to be a particular one?

A:  For the “Officer” signature, you will need to have the individual who the CSLB has on record as signing authority sign the Renewal application.

Q:  My Dad who has been a contractor for over 20 years is going to retire.  He started out as a Sole proprietor but changed to a Corporation about ten years ago.  I am going to take over the business, but I want to start a new company so that I don’t assume any of his possible liabilities. Can we request the license number, which is a very low number, be transferred to my new corporation?

A:  Unfortunately, no.  A license number cannot be transferred from one Corporation to another.  Under certain circumstances, a contractor’s license number can be transferred from a Corporation to an LLC, and from a Sole Proprietor to a Corporation/LLC, but not from one Corporation to another.