Passing Grade, Retro Reinstatement, Fire Protection and Resident Agent Requirement

I touch on ‘pass/fail’ in licensing success rates. While my expert assistance is what contractors need, I also give them hope there is an answer! But sometimes, the right answer isn’t what they expect…

Q:  My California Contractor’s license expires on March 31st.  I saw online the CSLB is working on active renewal applications they received on February 25th.  Therefore, I know my license is going to go expired for a period of time.  Is there any way at all you can help?

A:  I can at least give you some comforting news.  The CSLB has put a new law in place which they are currently implementing that requires them to retroactively reinstate an expired contractor license if a completed license renewal application is received with the appropriate fees within 90 days of the license expiration date.  Additionally, once the CSLB receives your renewal application and appropriate fee, they will make a notation on your license stating “the renewal has been received but not yet processed”, which is also comforting to your customers who may be alarmed that your license is reflecting “expired”.

Q:  I currently have a “C-20” (HVAC) and a “C-36” (Plumbing) license.  We have always done Fire Sprinkler repair, inspection, and installation with the understanding it was permitted for residential work.  We don’t ever do Commercial work.  Can you confirm that we are within the CSLB guidelines, or is there some other designation we need to have?

A:  The only CSLB license classification which is permitted to perform any type of fire protection systems is the “C-16” Fire Protection classification.  Let me know if you’d like our assistance with adding the “C-16” classification to your license.

Q:  Can a Canadian company obtain Contractor’s licenses in California and Nevada?  Will we need to have an address in California and Nevada in order to obtain Contractor licenses?

A:  Yes, of course a Foreign Company can obtain a Contractor’s License in California and Nevada!  Just keep in mind that everyone listed on the California application (meaning all personnel) is required to have a US Social Security Number.  Nevada doesn’t have that same requirement.  As far as an address, your Company itself is not required to have its own physical address. but in both States your Company will need to have a Registered Agent with an address in that State. 

Q:  What is the pass percentage I need to score on my Contractor’s License exams?

A:  The CSLB does not publish or disclose the exact passing score you need to have, and every classification/test is different, but in my experience, it’s 67% – 72% range.