AZ Handyman Rule, Revoked Licenses and “B-2” General

Sometimes its good news, sometimes bad, or just in case! Whatever your issues my ‘guidebook’ is always open to finding a route, or re-route, to becoming a licensed contractor…

Q: You are currently assisting me with my pending “B” (General Building) application I submitted in late 2020, and as you are aware, I still have not been able to get approved to sit for an exam because the CSLB is not satisfied with the documentation I have provided to verify my experience doing “B” work.  The main issue was when I originally submitted the application on my own, my certifier did not mention on my Certification of Work Experience that I had experience doing framing, paired with the fact my experience was not gained working for a Company with a General license.  As you know, I’ve tried to provide additional documentation, however my name doesn’t show up on any permits or contracts, etc. I was reading one of your recent articles about the new “B-2” Residential Remodeling Classification.  Is it possible for me to change my application to a “B-2” at this point?

A:  It sure is!  The new B-2 license will open doors for many, many contractors in the same situation as you to become licensed. Obviously, you will still need to  verify your experience as a qualified home remodeling contractor doing such work as kitchen and bathroom remodels, plumbing and electrical fixtures, cabinet installation, flooring, etc. 

Q: I used to have a Sole Owner license and a corporate license in CA.  Back in 2011, the corporate license was Revoked, therefore resulting in my Sole Owner license also being Revoked.  I would like to get my Sole Owner license back if at all possible.  Do you know what the requirements would be to make that happen?

A: Thank you for contacting Capitol Services Inc.  The fact that it’s been over five years since your license has been Revoked comes with both good news and bad news.  The good news is five years is the maximum time frame in which a license can remain unable to be reinstated or reissued.  

Even after five years, according to B&P Code Section 7102, the applicant is required to show that all conditions and monetary obligations have been fully satisfied and complied with. Bad news is as it’s been over five years since you’ve been licensed, you will be required to go through the whole licensing processing again including re-testing, fingerprinting, etc.  We would be happy to assist you with the process so please call our office if you want to move forward.

Q:  I am a California licensed contractor and I am going to be retiring and moving to Arizona.  I don’t plan on continuing working however, I know there is a Reciprocal agreement between California and Arizona, and I figure it may not be a bad idea to get my Arizona license just in case I want to take on some small projects or subcontractor work.  

Again, I don’t anticipate any large projects.  California has the rule of not performing any unlicensed contracting work over $500 with labor and materials.  Does Arizona have that same rule?  I’m thinking I may be okay just limiting any work which may come up to $500, but obviously want to confirm it’s the same over there.  Thank you for your time.

A:  Arizona’s rule is if the entire cost of the project, including labor and materials is over $1000, or requires a permit by the local municipality, the person or business performing the work needs to be licensed. We can assist you in AZ, just in case.