HAZ Qualifications and NASCLA Reciprocity

Not knowing when a ‘license’ is required can be ‘hazardous’ when you don’t have an expert to call. Another contractor with licenses in several other states, needs help to learn why his ‘national’ credential won’t allow him to skip CA testing. Not to mention getting fingerprinted, which he didn’t ask about!…

Q:  I have extensive experience with Hazardous Waste removal and have been looking into obtaining my license for quite some time and I can’t quite determine whether I would qualify or not.  I was talking with a friend who has an “A” License and he offered to be a Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) for my license.  I am willing to hire him, but he does large projects such as parking lots, commercial building foundations, etc.  He doesn’t specifically have the experience in the removal of hazardous substances.  Would I be able to get a license with him as the RMO and then I, myself, obtain the HAZ license based on my experience?

A:  Hazardous Waste Removal (HAZ) is a certification that is attached to a license, not an actual license/classification on its own.  A licensee who holds an “A”, “B”, “C-12”, “C-36”, “C-57”, or certain “C61/D40” classification(s) is permitted to attach the HAZ Certification to the license by completing an application and passing the required exam.  There is technically no experience documentation needed to apply, just the requirement that the individual holds one of the abovementioned classifications, which has already been “certified” when the license was initially granted.     

Q: My company has contractor licenses in several states in the U.S. and we have been looking at work in California.  I started doing some research last year regarding how the process works and learned I would need to travel to CA to take the required examinations.  We put the project on hold due to COVID, and it just recently dawned on me that I took the NASCLA exam years ago and my passing results were sufficient in several States to obtain the licenses.  I couldn’t find any information on whether CA recognizes the NASCLA exam, since I would assume it’s at least equivalent, if not more complicated, than the CSLB “B” trade exam.  Am I able to provide my successful passing NASCLA scores to avoid the need to travel to CA?

A:  Not to say the CSLB doesn’t consider the NASCLA exam to be a valid test equivalent to their own, but they CSLB does not yet accept the NASCLA exam for Reciprocity.  Also be aware CA requires all contractors, regardless of classification, to take and pass the Law Exam.  So, either way you would be required to travel to CA to take an exam.  You did not ask about fingerprinting which is also best done in state. We have great beaches!