BESS, Veteran Service Credit and CA Veterans Application Assistance Program

As we recently honored military service on Veteran’s Day I wanted to revisit the opportunity available for our service men and women in construction and as licensed contractors. As many return from Afghanistan to enter the civilian job market the construction industry may offer positions and opportunity based on their service. And a second reminder that CSLB fees are going up soon…

Q: I noticed on the application it asks if anyone shown on the application has served in the military.  Does it benefit me at all to mark that I did?

A:  Yes, the CSLB will grant expedited application processing to applicants who are currently or have previously served in the military.  In order for you to take advantage of this, you must submit a DD214 form confirming your release.

Q: I was discharged from active military duty about 18 months ago and want to apply for a CA contractor license. All my related experience was in the military service handling various types of construction. Do you know how the Contractors Board will evaluate this experience?

A:  As we discussed, in many cases, veterans possess transferable skills to meet the minimum experience and training requirements for a state contractor license. The CSLB offers a Veterans Application Assistance Program for those who are transitioning from military service to civilian employment. This program offers priority services to veteran applicants by evaluating transferable military experience and training, as well as education. From our years of experience helping veterans with their contractor’s licensing, it appears you have the required 4 years to qualify for the license exam.

Q:  I am a disabled veteran who has worked under a licensed contractor for 15 years of my life. I am now ready to venture out into the realm of having my own contractor’s license.  He has a “B” (General Building) license and we do all types of remodels and upgrades. What are the main requirements and how quickly can this happen?

A:  To obtain your own license you will need to document at least four years of fulltime work experience doing that type of work.  You will need to take and pass the Trade and Law exams and you will also need to be fingerprinted.  The process usually takes anywhere from two to three months, however the Military Veterans Application Assistance Program at the CSLB assists those who are transitioning from military service.  They will usually expedite your application to process it ahead of others to issue your license in having served the country. Thanks for your service!

Effective October 1, 2021, the Contractors State License Board will not enforce or implement its July 27, 2021, decision related to solar energy storage systems and industry bulletins numbered CSLB 21-14 and CSLB 21-15 until resolution of a pending lawsuit. Therefore, for the time being, “C-46” Solar Contractors may still install BESS until further notice.

Falling in line with food, gas, and everything else, the CSLB fees are increasing again effective 1/1/2022. Get your applications in now to avoid the fee hike!