CSLB 2022 Fee Increase, “C-54”, Joint Venture and Entity Changes in LLC

When it comes to law, any kind, it’s better to know, than not! A couple of contractors share lessons on business changes affecting their licensing. Don’t fail to read it all as CSLB has important news to share for all, especially Solar contractors…

Q: I have a “C-54” Tile license and we have a potential job which we have been offered but I am not completely confident we are permitted to handle this specific type of work.  The project involves installing a brick veneer decorative layer on a wall for a new School being built. Is it appropriate for us to contract for this work, or does it require a “C-29” Masonry Contractor?

A: A “C-54” Contractor can install thin brick tiles which are installed using thin-set method. The CSLB’s description of a “C-54” Tile Contractor includes the installation of “thin tile that resembles full brick…or any tile units set in the traditional or innovative tile methods…”

Also, for public works contracts (such as schools), the awarding authority has the discretion to determine the license classification necessary to perform the project.

Q: We are interested in doing some work with another company who has been asked by one of their largest customers to perform several large projects out here in the West, but they are unlicensed. We are looking at both CA and NV. Are we able to form a Joint Venture and do business as such under our Company’s license?

A: No. A Joint Venture for the purposes of performing Contracting work in CA and NV is made up of two licensed entities. In CA, two licensed entities are required to obtain a separate license for the Joint Venture.

For Nevada, if either of the licensed entities holds a “limited” license (monetary limit), a separate license is required. If each entity holds “unlimited” licenses, they are permitted to do work as a Joint Venture with written notification filed with the NSCB (Nevada State Contractors Board).

Q: We currently have a General Partnership license made up of two Corporations. One of the Corporations has converted to an LLC. Is there a form to use to update the CSLB license?

A: You will actually be required to apply for a new Contractor’s license. You cannot make changes to the General Partner of a Partnership license. Next time call first, it could help make changes easier, and less costly. 


  • As those in the BESS industry are aware, on July 27th, after a long meeting of reviewing, discussing, and listening to comments from all ends of the spectrum, the CSLB ruled to preclude “C-46” Solar Contractors from installing BESS.

Effective October 1, 2021, the Contractors State License Board will not enforce or implement its July 27, 2021, decision related to solar energy storage systems and industry bulletins numbered CSLB 21-14 and CSLB 21-15 until resolution of a pending lawsuit.

Therefore, for the time being, “C-46” Solar Contractors may still install BESS until further notice.

  • Falling in line with food, gas, and everything else, the CSLB fees are increasing again effective 1/1/2022. Get your applications in now to avoid the fee hike!