Comp & Inactive License, Landscape Concrete and General B or B-2

It’s never good to be ‘lost’, so you can ‘find’ answers when you call me or visit the website. We always ‘remember’ our friends and look forward to the next time our paths cross. And all of you should check on the new requirements now for Worker’s Comp rolling out in the New Year. If you wait it may be too late…

Q: I found your website when I was googling my question. Nobody has been able to definitively answer this question, not even the CSLB. Can a Landscape contractor with a “C-27” (Landscaping) license pour 670 sq. ft of concrete (well over $500) for patios/steps/walkways with no “C-8” (Concrete) license or without sub-contracting to a concrete license holder?  If the Concrete contractor has to have the “C-8” license for any job over $500, why then can the Landscape Contractor do the same work without the experience or license that the concrete Contractor has to have?  

Q: Thank you for contacting Capitol Services Inc. Yes, a licensed “C-27” contractor can pour concrete for patios/steps/walkways IF (and only if) it’s part of a landscaping project. They cannot ONLY pour concrete for patios/steps/walkways, but if that is included in their landscaping project, then they are permitted to do it. To qualify for a landscaping license a contractor needs to show experience doing all types of landscaping work, including all trades which aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the ground/land surrounding a structure. Therefore, a licensed “C-27” contractor, by being licensed, is following the same rules as a “C-8” Contractor, as long as they stay within their scope.

Q: As you may remember, we do General Construction, mostly repairs after water damage or disaster in the home. We hold the “B”(General Building) license.  In searching the CSLB website, I see there is a “B-2” that I had never seen before.  Is there a difference between these two? Is the “B” license sufficient to do everything? Or do we need the “B-2” as well?

A: The difference between the two is essentially framing. A “B-2” contractor cannot do framing or ground-up construction. The “B-2” was created for remodeling and repair contractors who do multiple trades, but don’t have the framing/structural experience to qualify for a full “B” General Building license. The “B” encompasses the “B-2”, so a General Building Contractor would never need to obtain a “B-2”.

Q: We received a letter that our contractor’s license will not be renewed unless we purchase Worker’s Comp insurance.  We haven’t worked under the license yet and we have no employees, but I called the CSLB and they said it will still be required. 

I just wanted to confirm with your company that we can inactivate our license for up to 4 years(?) and then we won’t be required to provide the insurance.  There isn’t any risk to inactivating is there?  Could they term our license before the deadline for inactivity?

A: The Workers comp requirement is due to you holding the “C-20” (HVAC) classification. Starting January 1st, 2023, all active Contractors with a “C-8”, “C-20”, “C-22”, and “D-49” will be required to carry workers comp, regardless of whether they have employees or not (in addition to “C-39” (Roofing) contractors who have already been mandated to carry it). There is no risk to inactivating the license as long as you aren’t using it. When you renew on inactive status, it will remain that way for a period of four years unless you decide to reactivate sooner. The CSLB doesn’t pull inactive licenses for… inactivity.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 3609 Bradshaw Rd, Ste H, #343, Sacramento, CA 95827. Search past columns at