Expired License, Family Waivers & Qualifying Multiple Classifications

Is it possible to ‘go back’ to the future with a contractor’s license? As the ‘boomer’ generation reach retirement who will take over the companies they have built in their lifetime? With opportunity rising in the state and national economy contractors are getting back to the business of ‘assembling’ the elements they need to build…

Q:  About 10 years ago I applied for a new contractor’s license and assigned my Sole Owner license to the corporation.  I’ve decided to close the corporation and for the future want to know if I can get this back in my name?

A:  Based upon the information you provided, it appears you did NOT assign your Sole Owner license to the corporation.  Your personal license simply expired.  To get this license back, you’ll need to file an Application for Original license, pay the required fees and post a new contractor’s bond.  For your information, had you opted to actually re-assign your Sole Owner license to the company, the CSLB would NOT re-issue it and the number would be lost as soon as you dissolved the corporation. An important lesson for other contractors who may also encounter a similar situation sometime in the future.



Q:  I am getting on in years (over 70) and want to pass on my contracting company to my daughter.  She has been working with me for over 10 years and has a real interest in continuing the business.  We have looked at the CSLB web site but still have a few questions.  In particular, do you think the Board will grant her request for a waiver of the state exam?  I know she could pass the tests but if she is eligible for a waiver, we would like to try this first.  Thank you for your advice.


A:  State law allows for an exam waiver under certain circumstances.  Under B&P Section 7065.1(b), your daughter (as an immediate member of the family) could take over the family business and should be eligible for a waiver if your individual license has been active and in good standing for five of the past seven years and she has been actively engaged in your construction business “for five of the seven years immediately preceding the application for licensure.”

Your daughter must file an application for original license in the same classification you currently hold and should write a letter requesting an exam waiver.  Her experience must include some fieldwork and cannot just be “administrative” in nature (i.e. bookkeeping, office work, etc.).  If you, your daughter or any of our readers have any questions or would like more information on how best to apply for an exam waiver, please contact my office.


Q: I am assembling a company with three partners and it’s going to be a corporation. All of us have licenses.  One partner has an “A” (General Engineering), one has a “B” (General Building), and the other has a “C-10” (Electrical) classification. Can we all be on the license so that company has all three licenses? Or does one person needs to have all three licenses/classifications?

A:  You can each be on the license as the Responsible Managing Officer/Employee (RME/RMO) for the specific classification that you currently hold.  Keep in mind that if the partners each have less than 20% ownership in the corporation they cannot qualify for more than one license at a time.