Exam Waivers, NV “C-1” and Criminal History Disclosure

2 B or not 2 B is not the question, rather we shall “C-1”, but only if the fee has been paid in NV. We roll the dice with another contractor and it comes up 11, CA application question 11 that is and share the rules for a contractor making a Qualifier change….

Q:  We have a Nevada “C-1” (Plumbing and Heating) license.  We recently started installing fire sprinklers, because we recognized we are permitted to, based on the sub-category “C-1b” (Fire Sprinklers).  What is the difference between the “C-1b” and the “C-41” (Fire Protection) license?  Also, with our NV “C-1” license, are we permitted to work on all project types, i.e. residential, multi-family, apartments, commercial, etc?

A:  The “C-1b” classification allows you to install fire sprinklers only, while the “C-41” (Fire Protection) classification is broader in applications.  The NV Fire Protection class allows you to do automatic fire sprinkler installation, fixed fire extinguishing systems, and fire alarm installations.  Nevada doesn’t differentiate between residential and commercial, so yes, you can do all types of projects with your “C-1” license.  

When you initially obtained the license, you were required to either pay into the residential recovery fund or sign an Exemption form stating you wouldn’t be doing residential work in Nevada.  If your company paid into the fund, you are good to go!  If your company signed the Exemption, you will want to be sure to pay the required residential recovery fund fee before you start doing residential work.

Q:  With respect to Question 11 on the Original Contractor’s License application, it requires disclosure of misdemeanors in the US or a foreign country.  In some jurisdictions a speeding ticket can be a misdemeanor.  Does the CA Contractors State License Board require disclosure of those?

A:  Traffic tickets don’t need to be disclosed unless it was something like DUI or reckless driving or if there was aggravating factors.  If you are unsure whether to disclose it or not, I always recommend just answering ‘yes’, completing the disclosure, and then if the CSLB determines it’s not a “conviction” that’s relevant to that question, they will just ignore it.  BUT, if you don’t disclose something and they find something that should have been disclosed, there is a possibility of your application being deemed “falsified”.  That being said, if it was merely a speeding ticket, no need to disclose.

Q:  We have a current license with the following classifications: “C-36”, “C-20”, “B” (General Building), “C-43”, “C-4”, and “C-2”.  Is there any way we can have one of our employees take over the license as the Qualifier without needing to take the exams?

A:  I looked up the license and the current Qualifier has held those classifications for well over five years.  B&P Code Section 7065.1 allows for an employee who has worked in a Supervisory capacity for over five years to request to Waive the exams.  He/she will need to document at least four years of full-time work experience in each classification.  The employee will likely also need to provide five years of W-2’s.