RME & Inactive License, Online Renewal, Qualifying Transfer and “B” Rule

Some discoveries are not treasure! While paperwork is the foundation of the contracting business, sometimes discovery is progress as a new online opportunity is now available. However, an expert is still best bet in doing it right quickly…

Q:  We just discovered that our Company’s RME let his Inactive license expire in March of 2019.  Can you assist with renewing the license?  Also, we are concerned how that lapse in his license affects our Corporate license.  Do we need to notify the CSLB that our RME no longer has an Active license?

A: While we can assist you with renewing his Sole Owner license, the fact that it expired doesn’t affect your company or its license in any way.  He has five years from the time it expired to renew his license.  Once a Qualifying Individual is no longer associated with a license, they continue to hold their “qualification” for five years.  After five years passes without being a Qualifier on a license, the individual will need to re-apply and re-test.  Please contact us if you would like our assistance with renewing the license.

However, speaking of renewals, the CSLB just recently updated their website to allow for online renewals in some cases.  Sole Owner licenses without an RME (Responsible Managing Employee) can now renew their license online.  They also allow all other types of entities (Sole Owners with an RME, corporations, Partnerships, Joint Ventures, and LLC’s) to pay their renewal fee online, although you still have to mail your payment receipt and renewal application in to the CSLB (or call me of course).

Q:  We are looking for some guidance in getting a contractor’s license transferred from the Qualifier to his stepson who has been with the business for 15 years.  We have called CSLB three times and get a different answer every time. Can you help us navigate the process?

A:  Yes, we can definitely assist with that.  It’s even possible that he will be able to get a Waiver of the exams, depending on his position with the company.  Give me a call to discuss, I look forward to chatting with you!   

Q:  I have a “C-20” (HVAC) license and I want to add the “B” (General Building) classification to my existing license, and eventually obtain a second license under a different business name with just the “B” in order to advertise differently.  Is this possible?

A:  It is possible if you have the necessary experience. You will have to document at least four years of full-time work experience doing General Building work, which must include framing, and at least two unrelated trades.  Because I’ve helped you in the past, I know you have the two unrelated trades covered, however you will definitely need to show the framing aspect.  I also am aware you are the 100% owner of your current Company, and as long as you own at least 20% of the new Company, you can qualify both licenses at the same time.

Who can work until stay-at-home rules are relaxed? You should refer to the state’s COVID-19 website: https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-foressential-needs/, which includes a “List of Critical Infrastructure Workers.” Be aware that the list can change as the situation dictates.”

(Please note some of the Covid-19 pandemic rules may no longer apply. Contact Capitol Services, Inc. for the latest information.)